Setting out tiling batons..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the preferred method for spacing tiling batons is?

Seen some builders using a chalk line, another suggestion was to use the bottom baton as your datum and keep measuring up from there, I was thinking of making a gauge stick to the correct length!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of making a gauge stick to the correct length!

..yeah, we call it a tape measure. ;)

we set the first batten off the fascia and go from there. we also eyeball down the first batten to visually check for dips.

a roof tiler i worked with would mark the gauge up each end rafter. he would tack in a nail at each mark. he would then dip his line in some mortar dye mixed with water. next he would stretch the dye soaked line across all the rafters using the tacked nails as stops. then he would flick the line producing a straight mark with which to follow.

We use the same method as noseall suggested with the mortar dye & string line method......just remember to keep your battens all above the line or below the line(whichever way you've marked out) otherwise your guages will be wrong :oops:

Sponsored Links
The problem with measuring every lath is that any errors, dips or different lath thicknesses will be compounded by the time you get to the top.

Set the first lath at the eaves, then set the top lath, then divide the distance to get the required [equal] guage, then use a chalk line to mark the guage

Red line is by far the best. Tape is ok on a smaller rectangular roof but is not that acturate if you have valleys as the battens will obviously get longer as you go up. Gauge batten depending on how you make it up can be ok or not... your choice....

Can I ask how to stop the bottom row of tiles from being at a different angle downwards as there is no tile beneath them?
Thanks.

The fascia board should support the bottom course of tiles, if they drop you may need to either use a deeper fascia or put a batten along the top edge..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back