burning smell from electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
Normally my shower annoyingly alternates between hot and cold every minute or so but for the last few mornings when I have taken a shower the water has been extremely hot, and today a smell of burning plastic was coming from the shower control panel. I immediately turned of the shower at the red switch outside the bathroom. I have had to turn my water off over night for a while whilst I am waiting for repair work to be done, could this be the problem?
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do (I am on a very tight budget).

Sponsored Links
Most likely a loose connection somewhere. V important that it is looked at as could cause fire. As you are on a budget, you could try isolating the shower circuit at the consumer unit and then removing the cover (On the shower). Look for any signs of overheating at the terminals. It would probably help if you could post a picture of said terminals if there is any damage visible to get advice. If you can't see any damage, it may be in the switch instead.

Best would be to get an electrician to look into it. They will have tools to check the continuity and insulation of the circuit better than a visual inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back