new upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are hoping to move into 100 yr old house soon and all windows need replacing with upvc. Can anyone tell me how to fix these in, should they fit flush against brickwork or sit more inside,do i need damp proofing before final fix, will be making new openings for several windows the walls are solid type rather than cavity, many thanks.john

Sponsored Links
I have never seen windows fitted flush to the outside brickwork. I have fitted my own in two houses now and they always sit back a couple of inches which allows you to fit a cill.

When you say damp proofing I presume you mean a DPC running around the window?. Not needed. Once they are shimmed in correctly and screwed to the sides the gaps can be filled with expanding foam or if the gaps are larger a mortar mix.

Seal around the frame edges and Hey Presto.:cool:

Hi, thanks toptec for your reply. The walls not having cavity i just wondered if they still needed dpc, but from your reply it seems that the new frames go in and sealed all around(after fixing) thanks again,john.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back