Odd silicon sealant issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I was removing the basin waste that I fitted yesterday, and that still leaks (different story) I noticed the silicon I applied, which has cured, has gone p!ss yellow. Dont know if its an issue anyway, but was wondering if it might indicate a contaminated surface or summat?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the silicone, but if you are having problems with the basin waste not sealing as they usually never do! get your self a basin mate, probably the best 2-3quid you will ever spend, remove sealant as its not required, fit the basin mate, do a search for them on here if you are unsure and forget about it. I use these all the time and always have one spare.

having problems with the basin waste not sealing as they usually never do!

Eh!? They only don't seal if they aren't put in properly, and basin mates are all well and good but if you don't have a decent seal inside the basin as well you'll get water seeping down the outside of the waste fitting, in through the overflow slots and down the drain. They look nasty too, although granted if it's a pedestal basin you can't see them, but much better to have a nice tidy silicone seal IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Thats why there is an FAQ for this subject then, in my experiance if they can leak they will, but thats only my opinion. NEVER had a prolem with a basin mate leaking, fit and forget, not hope that when you first turn the tap on you get that first drip coming down!

Would only use them on a basin with a ped or semi, as stated not exactly the nicest looking things, but they get my vote everytime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back