Advice Required for Electric work Already Carried Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

can anyone please advise if it is possible to obtain a completion certificate for electrical re-wire carried out to my home. I bought the property earlier this year and realised once general work started that the property needed completely re-wiring. I contacted a local electrician who quoted what seemed like a lot of money to carry out the works. After obtaining other (simular £) quotes, I contacted an old friend from where I used to live and as a favour (cheaper) agreed to come and carry out the work. He had recently retired and therefore all his certification/menberships had expired. The works where carried out to part p regs - correct heights for sockets etc but now I require someone to test and certify his work. IS THIS POSSIBLE??? or is anyone aware if there is a body or organization who will issue a completion certificate to pass onto the relevant authorities.

Any input/advise would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
A PIR will cost you £120. This is a periodic inspection and verifies all your wiring is up to scratch.

OOI, what were the quotes? If they were all around the same, then why do you think it was excessive? It must be the going rate. Many people believe tradesmen charge excessive prices, but they forget they aren't just paying the persons salary, but their van costs, fuel, membership of industry bodies, tools, and sometimes the materials used can be a lot.

6-12k for a property rewire is totally excessive, especially when the property is an open building site with easy access to joists and such for cable routing.

Nevertheless, I've had quotes where I was charged per power point or per light regardless of the work involved. heck, once I even told the electricial contractor to quote on labor only- I'd supply the cable, sockets, and everything else. That made zero difference. This is because of what I suspect to be "minimum charges" established in the trade. ie. Joe the electrician (not the plumber) will do anything you like, big or small job no problem - BUT- he'll charge 2500 pounds no matter what as a minimum. What a joke. I hope this economy will result in more hungry contractors who will quote more realistic prices.

Qualified electricians don't often do most of the time consuming work- drilling in holes, routing cable and such. They send apprentices which are not qualified.

The electrician generally only checks out the wiring then hooks up everything in the fusebox and tests.

I say save yourself time and money - get yourself part p'd and get an outside company to do the testing.

Cheers.

Thats how an apprentice learns by doing the donkey work in the early years before they progress onto the more skilled part of then job.

Sponsored Links
In response to the original question. Have a chat with your LABC. Even though Part P have been in for quite a while now, lots of people don't realise. I have heard stories on the forum here that some areas are more flexible than others and will let you submit a retrospective application and then come and inspect and certify.

You should be able to submit a regularisation application to your LABC - this will cost slightly more than a normal notification (about 20% more from mine for example), but they will then come out and inspect and test the work, and assuming it's up to standard, issue you a regularisation certificate. If anything isn't right, they might ask you to fix it. The only problem you'll have is if the work was done to the 16th edition, they may require it now to be compliant with the 17th, which may involve a few changes...

6-12k for a property rewire is totally excessive, especially when the property is an open building site with easy access to joists and such for cable routing.

I've got an ongoing rewire which is "an open building site with easy access to joists and such for cable routing". The latest quote revision exceeds £35k

I did a rewire a short while ago that wasn't "an open building site with easy access to joists and such for cable routing" that came in at £900.

Nevertheless, I've had quotes where I was charged per power point or per light regardless of the work involved. heck, once I even told the electricial contractor to quote on labor only- I'd supply the cable, sockets, and everything else. That made zero difference. This is because of what I suspect to be "minimum charges" established in the trade. ie. Joe the electrician (not the plumber) will do anything you like, big or small job no problem - BUT- he'll charge 2500 pounds no matter what as a minimum. What a joke. I hope this economy will result in more hungry contractors who will quote more realistic prices.

Qualified electricians don't often do most of the time consuming work- drilling in holes, routing cable and such. They send apprentices which are not qualified.

The electrician generally only checks out the wiring then hooks up everything in the fusebox and tests.

I say save yourself time and money - get yourself part p'd and get an outside company to do the testing.

Cheers.

I could pick a lot of faults with multi-quotes but there's others for that. What I'll say is, you've either had some bad experiences or you're the kind of chap whose determined to believe when a job is "£2,500" that the contractor goes down the pub at the end of the week with it all in his pocket and gets the drinks in, and there's little point trying to convince you otherwise....

You've either been asking the wrong people or the job has been extremely complex, I don't normally travel outside of Cumbria but for these sort of prices I'm half tempted :LOL:

From the OP WHF did you arrive at 6-12K? And how did you work out it was an MT property with easy access to joists and such for cable routing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back