Folding glass doors between conservatory and dining room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
we are having a conservatory built onto our house, and at the moment just have an opening in the wall between it and the dining room. The floor in both rooms is at exactly the same level and the opening (between the two rooms) is 2.34 m wide. We are going to use the same floor tiles throughout, and love the fact that at the moment it seems like one huge room, with no internal doors spoiling the effect. The other interesting point is that our house has very thick walls (61 cm).

If we were going to have glass (double glazed/triple glazed) doors between the two rooms, we would want them to be as unobtrusive as possible. I guess we would probably go for aluminium frames for this reason, as they are presumably much thinner than wood. The obvious solution is to have two bi-folding doors, with each panel being approximately 60 cm, folding back against the insides of the archway/opening, two panels folding to the left, and two to the right.

The downside to this solution is of course the fact that our lovely wide archway would be reduced slightly by the doors when they are folded back. Does anyone have any idea how much space they would take up? Or are there any other solutions?

Are there any systems which do not use a floor track? (Though I guess this would be the more expensive way of doing it???). Could we have the floor tiles laid, and retro-fit the track afterwards -- the tiler is arriving shortly, and we haven't even started looking at doors! I mean do we have to decide right now, or could we dig up a small 'channel' of tiles at a later date? The other alternative would be to lay the tiles with a suitably sized/positioned gap where a track could be fitted in due course -- though the trouble is we haven't time to decide on the doors (and therefore have the correct specifications) before the tiler comes...

Does anyone have any ideas? They would be a great help, and much appreciated.

Sophie :)

Sponsored Links
Dimensional and installation details will be specific to the particular door system.

Have a look at this room divider I did last year. The two centre doors where top hung only sliding doors. I have photos but are not very good but if interested I will publish them a little later.

Have you thought about glass doors without any timber or metal framing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back