Are there favoured brands of Consumer Units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there favoured or indeed unpopular brands of Consumer Units, RCBOs and RCDs

I am looking to replace and/or add to the existing CUs, possibly by utilising one of the larger capacity 30 plus ways units.

TLC Direct list a new range of large contactum boards but I've seen disparaging comments elsewhere about that brand although I've used the best part of 200 of their sockets, fused spurs, light switches etc with no problems over 12 years.

helpful comments gratefully received, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I quite like Square D, more the industrial range (KQ). Similar to Merlin Gerin. Not sure on the Square D Domae range.
Hager seem to be well liked for the domestic market.
Stay clear of the cheap stuff i.e. Volex, Chint, CGD.

Sponsored Links
For me it's;
Mem
Contactum (cheapest rcbo's at the moment)
Hager

Had a few problems with the Wylex cu's mcb's not latching & rcd casings snapping.
I stay away from Marbo & Volex (one and the same) due to lack of space inside.

Had a few problems with the Wylex cu's mcb's not latching & rcd casings snapping.

RCD casing snapping? Did this happen when tightening up the supply or load terminals?
I've never seen it nor have I ever had a problem with their MCB's (fitted thousands I would think). Must be lucky I guess :)
I have however experienced casings breaking apart when tightening load terminals with Proteus MCB's.

I like MK - I've heard comments about them not being as good as they used to be but I haven't had any problems with them.

In order of preference:

Merlin Gerin
Square D (KQ)
Hager
MEM
MK
Wylex

I've gone off MK recently. They have really got cheap, especially their MCBs, which used to be identicle to MG & SqD.

Anything not on the list, I wouldn't fit.

Merlin Gerin all the way for me! Used a few Crabtree Starbreaker's Recently too, couldnt fault them either.

Square D
Hager
Crabtree
Wylex

And, alas, where budget is an issue, Chint, big problem I find is the casing is a bit flimsy and the DIN rail is plastic, ugh.

RCD casing snapping? Did this happen when tightening up the supply or load terminals?

Had this on two rcd's, one from a 17th unit last month & the other was on a splitloader back in June/July time & it was the supply terminals both times.

Took both back to the wholesaler who chucked them back at the wylex rep & gave me replacements, never heard anymore about them so dont know if it was a batch thing or a couple of rogue faulty units.

I've had problems with Crabtree MCB's not latching too, seems to happen on the B32's, allthough they are the rating we use most of.

About 1 in 60 fail! Thats worrying!

Thanks to everyone.

We have Hager CUs at the moment which are now 12/13 years old.

Should the MCBs be discarded or would they be expected to be OK to be reused if I purchased Hager enclosures.

It depends.

You may find that the MCBs you have were manufactured to an old British Standard (BS3871). MCBs are currently manufactured to BS(EN)60898.

Personally, I'd be inclined to go with all new MCBs, just incase any of the existing MCBs are coming to the end of their life, and start to cause problems.

(It's unlikely, but I'd prefer to play it safe)

We have Hager CUs at the moment which are now 12/13 years old.

Should the MCBs be discarded or would they be expected to be OK to be reused if I purchased Hager enclosures.

Although I appreciate it adds expense, for a complete job change the lot for new.

My anaology is you wouldn't by a new car and run it on old tyres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back