Door sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing some DIY at my girlfriends house. One of the tasks is to replace a few internal doors. She wants the fully glazed panel glass doors. The current door is about 28.5". The only doors the local DIY's seem to sell are the 27" or 30". I would obviously need to buy the 30" door, but the instructions say not to take any more than .5" off the whole door. I would need to remove 1.5". Does anyone know where I can get a door the correct width at a reasonable price? Would the door be weakened significantly if I were to remove more than 1.5"?

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
what is the actual size of the opening you should measure the opening
then deduct 4mm this is the door width
part off the reason for not cutting off to much is the lock mechanism will not have enough wood to fit in
what metod of construction have they used on the doors if they are moulded and butted together as a last resort you may get away with 20mm would be lot happier with 12mm though
if you do take of 20mm youll probably be stuck with a ball catch and door bolt

I don't know, I have taken 3/4" off each side of a solid wooden door without any problem with reduction in strength. They are only internal doors after all and should not see any great stress. However, If this is a fully glazed panel (i.e. from top to bottom) then I would be tempted to get some other advice. How wide would the wood be before trimming?

Sponsored Links
You may find it easier to plant a timber of 3/4" x width of door frame on each side to take a 27" door instead.

post locked, please see 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back