Minimum bathroom size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to persuade the freeholders of a 1000 square foot flat that it needs a bigger bathroom. The current one is 6 by 8 foot. There are 3 bedrooms. The flat is old and victorian. They have asked me to take out a small bedroom ensuite I put in as it breached the lease. Anyone got any ammunition I can use i.e. authorative recommended minimum sizes for bathrooms in such a big flat please??

Sponsored Links
Dont think youll be able to go down this route, 8 x 6 is a reasonable size!!

How did they find out you put in an ensuite?

Under building regs, A dwelling needs A bathroom, nothing about minimum sizes, just has to work, which an 8x6 does.

Sponsored Links
Your situation depends on the length and type of lease you have. If you have gone to the expense of installing an ensuite I would assume you have a long lease.

On long leases you can normally make alterations (even if the lease document says you can't) but usually you must seek approval of the landlord. The landlord can't deny permission vexatiously. Courts will almost always side with the tenant provided the alteration is reasonable. Even so, bear in mind that at the end of the lease you will have to reinstate the property to the original configuration. If you don't the landlord can do it and charge you.

There are no building regulations for bathroom size so that is a red herring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back