Continual damp patch on ceiling - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help before I go insane?:(

I am really at a loss as to what is wrong with my roof/gulley.

I keep getting a damp patch appear on my ceiling (at the edge in the same place), after any long periods of torrential heavy rain. With all this rain we’ve had the week, it has reared its ugly head yet again and I really don’t know how to cure it. It always in the same place and within a space of a foot at the edge.

The house is partly linked by a gully and they consider the roof a ‘flat roof’ even though it is partially raised in the middle. There is no standing room.

Over the last 3 years I’ve had the ceiling completely replaced, the gulley completely re-leaded, (oh and they did do a good neat job so the chap told me whom I then contacted to; have the roof tiles themselves removed partway down and have, some kind of (can’t really remember what it was called), new product which was to help prevent the water from seeping through to the ceiling). I also have had the Crest tiles removed and re-seated (because shards of concrete (after another downpour), had perforated the internal membrane and caused a leak in the box room). So as you can see I’ve had quite a bit of work done.

However, I’m totally at a loss as to how to prevent this constantly reoccurring in the same place and would like to halt it in its tracks before it causes any damage to my new ceiling.

I was thinking to get it somehow sealed on the outside because I think it must be seeping in from somewhere. If I could get up there myself I would…it’s just sooooo frustrating!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

:(

Sponsored Links
It's either penetration from the roof, or a cold bridge caused by cold water in or around the gully - leading to localised condensation.

Most likely the former - especially if its a brown stain.

You will need to get the roof looked at - not just the gully, but all around. But if this is a flat roof, then it will need very careful inspection to spot anything.

For the time and trouble in looking at the roof, it may be work cutting out a section of ceiling to identify the problem next time it rains.

If the problem relates to poor work from a recent roof repair, then whoever did it should pay for the roof repair and the ceiling renewal

Get the roof checked out by someone else.. this all sound odd to me.. Shards of concrte pierceing membrane at a downpour? this is bol***ks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back