Gable wall construction type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a loft conversion done - a hip to gable.

The schedule specifies that the outside should be matching to existing brickwork - ie normal red brick. The builder from the loft company has said that on the inside it would be timber battens with filled in with insulation and covered over with plasterboard. When I mentioned about fixing heavy objects onto the wall, he said that the battens would have to be located or there is the option of having the inside constructed with breeze block instead, but he seemed to suggest that the first option is better because of the insulation factor and also plasterboard is almost equal to breeze block for fixing onto.

I don't have any heavy objects in mind that I want to hang on the wall, but just in case. Also the walls including the internal walls in the rest of the house, being an older property, are solid brick - external walls are double brick with an air gap. So it would be nice to have the same for the outside wall in the loft, although loss of heat is a factor.

This company does a lot of loft conversions, it's the only thing they do, so I guess they must know what is best. But I just wondered if there was any other opinion or option.

Sponsored Links
stud walls combined with rigid board insulation will be fine.

in my kitchen i fixed 18mm ply to the studs knowing only the top 8" or so would be visible once the wall units and tiles were fixed. i fixed plasterboard and skimmed the final 8".

the kitchen fitters loved this wall.

the point is you can fix noggins or ply between the studs prior to fixing the plasterboard or just locate the upright studs for fixing to. make a note on a piece of paper exactly where the uprights are as you will forget.

take some photo's too.

Do you mean that the builder is to build a single skin external wall and a timber frame internal wall?

Or, is he to build a double skin wall, and then line this with battens and insulation and plasterboard?

Do you mean that the builder is to build a single skin external wall and a timber frame internal wall?

Yes, that's what I believe - he didn't mention another skin of bricks.

The insulation, he mentioned a name or type I can't remember, will I think be the rigid type. This may also be used to line the roof space.

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why the internal leaf could not be built in blockwork at the same time as the external brick is built. But if you have solid walls, then it will mean that the insulation will need to be fixed to the internal face, so its a bit of messing about for the builder

Whether its done in a timber frame or block, the insulation will have to be to the same standard.

A timber frame will perform the same as a block wall, and if you have heavy items like a radiator or a plasma screen, then the builder should fit some extra noggins in specific places. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else which will cause a problem with fixing to plasterboard.

But one thing to bear in mind with timber framed walls, is that you have to be careful when fixing into it as you may penetrate the vapour check layer (a membrane to prevent moisture getting into the wall from the room) as this could potentially lead to condensation and rot in certain types of construction

Thanks for the advice. Seems I shoudn't be concerned about a stud wall on the inside. I'll make a note of where the studs are when it's being built if that's the way the builder will go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back