Low system pressure (light) on potterton puma boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
how have you ended up with an ideal pump in a potterton boiler? :confused:

Does hitting a boiler with a hammer sound very technical or professional?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I realise that this is an old thread but it has saved my life. I have a Potterton 80 still installed (really old house) and today the light was on and there was pressure.

I cleaned as instructed and the boiler kick started. I wanted to say thanks (assuming whoever posted this still reads) as the pictures and instructions literally saved us from the cold.

I hope it circulates the internet so that whoever has this model and the same fault can read it.

really surprised that your boiler is still running, I would be budgeting for a replacement if I was you, they were Shoite from the day and hour that they came out

What an idiot for uploading those images.
Do not hit it. Do not wash it out under a tap...you risk filling the switch with water on the contact side.
Clean the switch port gently with a 4mm screwdriver. Clean out the port in the diverter. Check the switch contacts are less than an ohm.

Went to same model on Monday. No CH, now sorted. Clearly not a boiler to tackle if fitted in a cabinet with poor clearances

The boiler now has the same problem and the same solution was applied. I don't think the author is an idiot since he was able to isolate the problem. However, of course hitting a part isn't the best of technical solutions.

To answer: I did not replace this boiler because I am in a very particular situation regarding the house. I rent. But eventually it will need to be replaced I guess. With all the faults this boiler has, it has served us for little over 15 years. I feel I know its faults by heart now, and the PCB has been replaced also.

The easiest thing would be to replace the Water Pressure Switch, something I am thinking of doing.

I would hugely appreciate it if someone could provide some guidance regarding the replacement of this part, and if its a simple case of unscrewing with a wrench and screwing back on (with the boiler power being off).

Surely you're joking. You rent the property and have no right to touch the boiler. It is the landlord or managing agents responsibility to call in a registered installer to repair it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back