Help with Calculations fo cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - designing specification for partial rewire/ addition of circuits

Would appreciate some help with first attempt @ understanding cable size calculations
Useful to know if i've the complete wrong end of the stick, other information i need to collect/consider

An example below for shower circuit - Ideally would like to achieve 9.6kw shower run on 10mm cable, 45Amp MCB

Factors considered so far
Length of run maximum 22m
route: CU - through boards/ ceiling space 12-14m - clipped to to wall open 6m, In conduit plastered 1-2m

maxiumum ambient temp 30C so Ca =1

grouped cables under roof space & along wall variable but maximum 10 other cables. will be spaced so that at least width of cable space between. So Cg = 0.9

However for width of 1 beam 3.5''only, would be easier if 4 of 8 cables were to be grouped touching through beam - How critical is this? Would You use Cg =0.7 or 0.48?

No thermal insulation - so Ci=1

Calc.
Lb =9600/230 = 41.74A
lz= 45A/0.9 =50A - with 0.7 = 64A with 0.48 =93A!

So 10mm cable rateage - 52- 63 inconduit/clipped direct acceptable @0.9

Not with Cg@ 0.7 0r less.

Hence the critical question of those few inces through beam?

voltage drop calc - - 10mm - 4.4mV/A/m
so 4.4X 41.74x22/1000 =4.0404 so i.e approx 1.76% - under 45 tolerance - acceptable?

Ok need to go & get a complete set of lessons - or on the right track?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Be careful with grouping factors otherwise you'll end up with silly cable sizes, as you're well aware!
Remember that any cable that is expected to carry not more than 30% of its grouped rated can be omitted.
Also, the grouping factor table (4C1) is for groups of uniform cables, equally loaded.

Domestically I think reference to the factors in 4C1 will be overkill.

Thanks for that
I guess I'm broadly on the right track

If I'm new to something I tend to sart from the safe side in theory - then look @ the practicalities & then look for compromise .

As you say in this & the same will apply on a number of the other circuits If I'm not careful I'll end up with overkill. The house is a fairly large rambling house over 4 stories most of which is in a state of renovation - but a lot of circuits will need to run over fairly long distances - but many of which will never run @anything like capacity.

But as a newbie want to make sure I'm not missing any biggies. And useful to get other opinions.

The '30% stuff' is useful - not something i was aware of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back