CCTV - Whats the rules on where I can put it?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys.
A couple of questions if I may.

Ive got a garage in a private block of 4.

Layout/

////1///\\\\2\\\\////3////\\\\4\\\\
l l l l l l l l
l l l l l l l l
l l l l l l l l
l l l l l l l l

PAVEMENT ..........................

Garage Number 3 in the above arrangement is mine. The lines show the drive for each garage, and then there is the pavement

The garage is about 50 metres up the road from my house and my car was broken into by scum on the garage drive the other week hence I want to protect it with CCTV.

Am I allowed to do this if its on my garage?
Does it have to watch only the direct patch of my driveway? what if it strays on to the pavement in the periperhal? is this allowed?

Question 2//

I want to put a couple of cameras by my house. one front and done back.
Again, do they have to solely focus on my land? one of the aspects it will be hard to get a useful view if I dont include my neighbours fence in the picture?

They are a real bunch of neighbourhood watch stalwarts and will surely be straight on to the council and whoever else (Police, MI5 etc) about the cameras to check their legality and hence I want to be sure of my rights before i put the cameras up!!!

Thanks for your help guys ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be pesimistic but a cctv camera will not stop the scum tampering with your car & will not give clear enough pictures(unless you spend a fortune) for the police to be prepared to prosecute with if you did capture them on film. Save yourself a shed load of cash & fit a decent dummy camera, it will have the same deterent effect as a real one.

They do however give a certain peace of mind & enable you to see
when someone is actually around the car so that you can go our & give the little scumbags a blooming good twonking!

Sponsored Links
In answer to the questions posted by and1c you can do all the things you want.

The only rules that would apply to use of cctv are contained in the Data Protection Act but the act does not apply to systems that are used for domestic purposes.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/cctv_code_of_practice_html/3_covers.html
The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home.

The only rules that would apply to use of cctv are contained in the Data Protection Act but the act does not apply to systems that are used for domestic purposes.

The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home.
But is the garage 'domestic/residential'??

But is the garage 'domestic/residential'??

It is a domestic garage.

Thanks for all the information and advice Blondini, Breezer, JJ4091 and Matty lad. Very useful

JJ4091, this isnt really going to stop the little scumbags trying to steal the car (well, it may do actually, but no guarantee) but as Matty lad rightly points out it will give me some 'eyes on' to where my car is parked....meaning I can get outside quick smart if I do see anyone hanging around the car!

Next problem I have just thought about!, getting cabling down 30 metres of pavement without anyone noticing :confused:
Is it possible to get permission from the council for things like this? If I repair the pavement of course?

Maybe a dummy camera will be the cheaper option and I will focus on fitting cameras on the property itself...

Is it possible to get permission from the council for things like this? If I repair the pavement of course?.

please tell me you are not being serious.

Dear council, i want to lift the paving slabs between my place and my garage so i can put a couple of cables in so i can put a camera in my remote garage

My mate wants to do the same can he do it too?

I initally assumed you were going to go down the radio route, but i have no idea aboiut them other than they do exist

If you can see the garage/drive from any part of the house that you could mount a camera, then you would just need the right lense to get a close up view.

It is a domestic garage.
Thanks for all the information and advice Blondini, Breezer, JJ4091 and Matty lad. Very useful

JJ4091, this isnt really going to stop the little scumbags trying to steal the car (well, it may do actually, but no guarantee) but as Matty lad rightly points out it will give me some 'eyes on' to where my car is parked....meaning I can get outside quick smart if I do see anyone hanging around the car!

Next problem I have just thought about!, getting cabling down 30 metres of pavement without anyone noticing :confused:
Is it possible to get permission from the council for things like this? If I repair the pavement of course?

Maybe a dummy camera will be the cheaper option and I will focus on fitting cameras on the property itself...
No, it is a garage used by you for domestic purposes.
The fact that it is not attached to your residence complicates things somewhat.
Mind, after the issue of the cabling it doesn't really matter does it. Unless of course you want to use wireless transmission for the CCTV.

The garage being remote from the house only complicates things in the context of how to make a camera work. There's no longer any law to stop you if it is for domestic purposes.

The garage being remote from the house only complicates things in the context of how to make a camera work. There's no longer any law to stop you if it is for domestic purposes.
Not quite so clear cut.
If the cameras are on your residential property, then no, you don't need to worry. But from your explanation, the garage is down the road away from your house.

As for the camaera itself. is there power in the garage? Ifso, wireless transmission should be fine if the distance is not too great.

Atila, a householder can point a camera at a public area if they want to. They are not constrained to their own property.

Atila, a householder can point a camera at a public area if they want to. They are not constrained to their own property.
Errr, i know. Unless the public complain. Then officer dibble (who knows sod all about privacy and harassment laws) will intervene. But it is not so much where you are pointing it is it. Is the garage attached to your residence? your description so far suggests not. Hence it is not quite so straight forward.

hi

i know this is an old topic, but just read through, and i would personally think about what Blondini suggested.

If you can see the actual garage from your house, then simply put the camera on your house and choose a suitable lens.

If you cant, then i would make sure the camera on the garage is vandal proof, as otherwise it will get broken very quickly by the same people who damaged your car.

Also bare in mind, if it goes on the garage, they might just spray paint it or something to stop it from seeing anything.

All said, on the house pointing at the garage is by far the best way to go f possible.

just my 2 cents ;)

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back