Beam and Block Floor - Beam Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I have never dealt with the above flooring method and would like some details on how to size the concrete beams. Is there any such equivalent to the Trada tables in order to work out depth of beams depending on span etc??

The span I had in mind is 2.3m and the beams would be supported off 100mm Blockwork internal walls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Your beam supplier should help with your query or any design requirements, in my experience I have only come across the standard 150mm beams,but no doubt there are thicker sizes available but for your span would think you have got no worries with off the shelf beams, so to speak. (depends on your proposed use) but have done quite a few garages with a greater span with no problems.

thanks for that. A couple of further questions.

Do you know of any good beam suppliers in the North West area?
do you generally insulate above the blocks and over the beams?

As for the infill blocks, what do you normally use? standard medium density concrete blocks or aerated blocks etc?

thanks again!

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. A couple of further questions.

Do you know of any good beam suppliers in the North West area?
do you generally insulate above the blocks and over the beams?

As for the infill blocks, what do you normally use? standard medium density concrete blocks or aerated blocks etc?

thanks again!

The 150 beams will definitely be enough going on Hansons spec sheets (you could try them as a supplier as well - seem to go anywhere!)

If you haven't already considered it, have a look jetfloor system if it's a ground floor - it forms both the infill block and the insulation in one. About the only issue is you'll have to get the screed power-floated as it's C25 concrete rather than "screed". The blocks themselves are very thick EPS (polystyrene to you and I!) so very easy to handle and fit.

On pretty much any of the beams if you pick a supplier they will spec and design the layout for you from floor plans F.O.C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back