Damp patches on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My property is a Victorian mid-terrace, built around 1870. Recently following heavy rain I'm seeing damp patches on my first-floor chimney breast. This is the breast that continues up from my the living room at the ground floor. The wall is shared with my neighbour which is the end-terrace, so I guess the chimney stack is also shared.

Here's the kicker.. I've been in the house a little over 18 months and never had any bother, and we've seen plenty of rain! We've just got new neighbours who've started gutting the place, and we think they have a chimney breast possibly with a fireplace in their first-floor bedroom, which they may be working on. I'll have a friendly word with them, but before I do.. do the experts think there's anything my neighbour could have done to cause my problem? Could they have somehow caused water to be directed to my wall?

Would seem a bit too much of a coincidence to be unrelated, but who knows?!

Thanks for any help, would be really appreciated.

Rich (knighty76).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back