Plaster over joint compound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made an amateur mistake - I am an amateur though.

I have recently plaster boarded my ceiling and used joint compound at the joins thinking this was the normal thing to do. I've always intend for the ceiling to be plastered. Does the joint compound mean I can't get the ceiling plastered or does it make no difference?

Help please!

B

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think it would make much difference. A little bit of suction here and there, but a coat of PVA over it and plaster right away, no problem.

Roughcaster.

I forgot to ask, did you (I hope) put tapes over the joints first before you used joint compound?.... I'm sure you did, but I just thought I would ask..... The plasterer would take care of pva'ing the joints anyway if he feels the need to, but the main thing is it can still be plastered without any problem at all.

Roughcaster.

Donlt worry, as long as your plasterer is aware of what you’ve done, he should easily be able to cope with it if he’s any good; it may take him a little longer to sort out though & the filler will probably suck like hell!

Something to bear in mind for the future is don’t do any preparation work unless your plasterer is happy for you to do it & then follow their instructions explicitly.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to ask, did you (I hope) put tapes over the joints first before you used joint compound?.... I'm sure you did, but I just thought I would ask..... The plasterer would take care of pva'ing the joints anyway if he feels the need to, but the main thing is it can still be plastered without any problem at all.

Roughcaster.
Had the same thought immediately after I’d posted ;) hopefully, their not taper edge boards! So, B2000, it’s important you tell your plasterer exactly what you’ve done.

No problem here I use the adhesive to tape all the joints with after I have dot and dabbed. Then its all prepared to skim straight over. But like the lads say run the roller over it with some unibond just before you skim if you have left it a while.. ;)

Thanks guys - I feel relieved.

Luckily I have taped the joins. I might leave it to the experts next time - I just can't help sticking my nose in!

Thanks, again, for the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back