Bathroom ventilation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a sloping internal roof in my shower room with a Velux window and an extractor fan with a delay fitted to the lighting circuit but I have still been having problems with damp in the room. I removed the extractor fan from the sloping ceiling as it was rattling a treat and replaced it with a new one from Wickes. This worked fine for about 2 months then went the same way as the old one.

I've just removed the fan and had a look to find that not only is there no pipe taking the damp air away but that there has been a nice big hole cut in the roofing membrane to allow the condensation to find its own way out past the concrete roofing tiles.

What is going to be the best way to fix this problem? I was thinking getting a vent tile put in and running a bit of 100mm flexible ducting to it from the back of the fan, only problem being that as the distance from inner ceiling to back of tiles is only about 40cm there is no room for a kink in the pipe to stop condensation running back into the bathroom.

There is a vertical outside wall in the room but it's so low (about waist height) that I wasn't sure it would be any use, and I'd also end up with a big hole in my ceiling!

Any help gratefully received, I can do a noddy diagram if that might help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I was thinking getting a vent tile put in and running a bit of 100mm flexible ducting to it from the back of the fan, only problem being that as the distance from inner ceiling to back of tiles is only about 40cm there is no room for a kink in the pipe to stop condensation running back into the bathroom.

vent tile terminal is the better option. as the run of ducting is so short condensation will not be a problem.

in fact the short distance between the fan and outside air will make the whole extraction process run with optimum efficiency.

Ok, bearing in mind that one tile needs changing and it is easily within arm's reach of a person standing on a ladder working out of the velux window - would this vent tile do the job?

http://www.klober.co.uk/product3.php?id=72

Any ideas as to a fair price for the job? I've had a few issues trying to get roofers in Dorchester before and probably won't be able to get many quotes.

Thanks for any help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back