First floor decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building myself a house and I've reached the stage of installing the the first floor decking. The house is weather-tight and I intend to use 2400x600 sheets of 22mm thick moisture resistant T&G chipboard. Someone told me that in addition to nailing the sheets down I should also glue all the joints. Please could you tell me if this is correct?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You mean flooring, not decking ;)

It is recommended (NHBC - which may apply to you) that the joints are glued, and also the boards are glued to the joists to prevent squeaking.

And fixings ..... "flat-headed ring shank nails minimum 3mm diameter and of length 2½ times the thickness of the chipboard, or screws, to BS 1210 with a minimum length of twice the board thickness and not less than size no. 8" Not more than 300mm apart.

Don't nail it, its more work but better screwed down.

I have a glued floor and in places it squeaks.

I have had a nailed floor and as the joists dry and shrink it starts to creak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all this good advice. I've already bought the sheets of chipboard (sorry Noseall!) and I agree that screwing them down is probably the best option. I've looked in the Screwfix catalogue and although they have an extensive range of screws, none of them mention BS1210. Please can you tell me the important features to look for when selecting the screws Woody? i.e. Countersunk (obviously), single or double thread, parallel or tapered shank etc.

Thanks

I'm not sure what BS1210 entails - probably a load of nonsense.

From Screwfix, IMO, its either their standard Quicksilver or Turbo Gold, and as the Quicksilver have a larger head, then I would go for these. No 8 size

But really, any of the standard screws will do

Sorry to bother you again Woody but I didn't realise there was so much to learn about screws! Screwfix sell a screw (50954) that's specifically for securing chipboard floors to joists. It's 4mm x 55mm (which fits your criteria) and has an unthreaded portion near the top of the shank to prevent "jacking" but its "collated" which means they come in a plastic strip that I assume is designed to fit some sort of screw-fixing gun. I don't have such a gun so I will be using my cordless driver/drill to put in approximately 1200 screws! Screwfix sell another (not collated) screw (49231) that's 4.2mm x 55mm called "Floor-Tite" which also has an unthreaded portion near the top of the shank but it says it's for high density fibre boards. The Quicksilver screws are threaded all the way up the shank and therefore I assume I might have a problem with the boards "jacking"? What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back