replacement mortice sashlock

Sponsored Links
You need a BS one. the BS was revised in 2004, and later ones have a 20mm bolt, which is bigger than the older standard. You may see older ones going cheap, but they are not as good.

Surely there is a local shop near you?

Wickes own-brand look good value. I think they are rebranded ERA which Screwfix sell at about £20

I use Chubb myself and they seem very good. they are popular and sold in all DIY sheds. The one I'd recommend is the 3K74E. The price on that website looks high to me. I have an idea they have a 25 year guarantee, the only fault i have had is the return spring on the latch spindle. You can take them apart every ten years or so to wash out dirt and grit with paraffin.

I don't know Asec brand, it looks like a cheap one. Cheap locks are more prone to internal rust and broken springs.

Screwfix do a Chubb BS sashlock for less than £30

Chubb are by far the best quality but also the most expensive.the ASEC range are basically rebadged Legge and are ok,id have the ASEC over the ERA anyday for quality.Union 2234 range is also ok.
The only problem you will have is with the Chubb 3k74 as the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the keyhole (the backset)is there own standard size whichh differs from others.

Nothing wrong with the ASEC range - good quality at a good price. I've yet to have a call-back on one I've installed.

Sponsored Links
It is extremely easy if the old one is exactly the same size. if the old one was a 3-lever it will be thinner. Depending on age and make, it might be 2 1/2" deep, or it might be 65mm or 67mm (or, rarely, 3"/75mm/76mm) and the backset may vary. Take out your old one and measure it precisely so you can get one that is an easy fit.

If the new one is wider you will have to shave out the mortice a bit with a very sharp, broad chisel. If the difference is very slight you might be able to smooth it loose with coarse sandpaper and a block of ply or something.

Don't forget to buy some spare keys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back