Building waterproof walls

BVP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being flooded 3 times in 15months i need to do something.

Internally i need to wallup several redundant access doors. please advise the best material from a waterproof standpoint. Brick, concrete block, concrete bricks. Also prefered morter mix.

Externally i am considering building a flood wall. Any advice experience doing this. Again materials, brick, concrete block, shuttered concrete and also morter materials.

Thanks BVP

Sponsored Links
Its no good blocking up doorways in a waterproof construction if the surround walls are not waterproof.

Engineering bricks in English or Water bond in a 1:3 mortar, will be very water resistant, but not waterproof.

The only way to make a waterproof wall is to incorporate an impermeable barrier like bitumen or polyphene

Sponsored Links
You could apply a waterproof render or slurry to the wall (e.g. Sika or Vandex). However you would have to make sure that the wall is built to be structurally capable of holding the water back - therefore if you expect the flood height to be more than approx 30cm you should be using something like reinforced concrete block construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back