Leaking Radiator bleed valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have what i think is a leaking radiator bleed valve - as per the photo attached -

The water appears to be leaking from the top of the valve, not much, just a very small amount, but enough to stop me putting my floor down.

Had a boiler moved a couple of months ago and since then the valve has intermittently leaked, although now it seems to be worse than before.

Not being brave enough to tackle it myself, i'm wondering if these things are repairable, or will a complete new valve be required ?

Had a quick look in B&Q but couldn't see spare bleed valves that looked like that.

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
That looks like a pegler valve and "Drain cock tail"
should be able to get them at a plumbers merchants

Haven't seen anything like that for a while. If it were mine then I'd remove it and replace it with a plain tail extension.

You can do this without draining the whole system, by shutting the valves and slowly undoing the connection between rad valve and rad, catching the water in a tray. If you have a wet vac then you can speed up this phase.

It's a drain rather than a bleed valve, so turn off the rad valves and use it for that!
If you undo the central square , the rotating part might comer right out - some of them do. You'll then be able to see the threaded part and a point on the end, probably which is meant to seal against a brass seat inside.
If you can get some ptfe tape across/around whichever is leaking, ie the point or the thread, you should be able to seal it quite easily.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, i think its quite an old system so maybe thats why i can't find anything similar - i did buy this in B&Q on the off chance it would be the right thing -

Do i need to take it back now.....? :oops:

I think a plumber is needed from here anyway, i'm too much of a coward to attempt stuff like this......bad memories from the last time i tried to mess with pipes and water....... :rolleyes:

Do i need to take it back now.....?
Maybe not. If you/your plumber use Softus' extensions, you still need a valve with a drain cock, which you've bought.

The thing you've bought would replace the valve without curing your problem - you would still need a tail extension.

I keep replying and then finding then ChrisR has got one in first. :p

Basically, you need to decide whether or not it's worth having a drain off at that point in the system. If the pipes to the rad drop under the floor, and if there's a drain off at a similar point on another rad, then you could consider not replacing the one that's currently weeping.

Whether or not you replace the valve is a different decision entirely, but bear in mind that to do so you'd need to drain more than just this rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back