Bricks and is it worth waterproofing them??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody advise of their experience of a product made by evo stik (I think) which is used applied by brush to "waterproof" brickwork and if this product is adviseable to use? The product is applied directly to the brickwork via brush. Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Waterproof to keep water out or in?

Most external treatments (such as Thompsons) are water repellent (to a point) and not waterproof, but do work well. They tend to require recoating after a few years, depending on exposure.

I have Thompsons on the external of my single skin porch, its skim plastered on the inside and bone dry.

If its for something like a basement or wall backing on to soil, then a bitumen based coating will work - RIW or Superprufe or similar

Waterproof to keep water out or in?

Most external treatments (such as Thompsons) are water repellent (to a point) and not waterproof, but do work well. They tend to require recoating after a few years, depending on exposure.

I have Thompsons on the external of my single skin porch, its skim plastered on the inside and bone dry.

If its for something like a basement or wall backing on to soil, then a bitumen based coating will work - RIW or Superprufe or similar

Cheers Woody, its actually to give some added protection to the gable end of the house. What we have is a breaching of the cavity as some brickwork connects the two courses of bricks together ie they have been layed end on. Our builder recommended this product by evo-stik but you are right will already moisture laden bricks then be sealed with moisture within them?

You need a product that does allow the wall to breathe, and not totally seal it. "Thompsons" or similar silicone solution does this.

You will have to do the whole wall above the problem to prevent water traveling down the brickwork, not just in through the face. But it is a viable solution

Sponsored Links
The standard Thompson's product isn't actually a silicone (it's a stearate) which is why it needs recoating every couple of years (due to the fact that it gets broken down by the UV rays in sunlight). A decent-strength silicone product will last at least 10 years - although it will cost a bit more.

I did the front of my house about 20 years ago, wind blown rain from next doors gutter was landing on the wall and making it green.
This has worked perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back