soil improvement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there.

i want to set up a vegetable patch for my children.
i am going to take a portion of the lawn up to achieve this. what is the best way to kill the grass first?
my soil is very heavy clay. what should i do to improve the quality of the soil before planting in the spring? also is a raised bed better for the children to cope with as my garden is not that big.

regards lee.

Sponsored Links
If the lawn hasnt got lots of weeds in it, just turn the turfs over they will rot down & be ok by next spring, if lots of weeds try & remove them as you dig the turf over.

You will find it will improve as you put more and more compost in the bed.
I think you should start of with potatoes, think I read that years ago.
Have a look on bbc gardening pages, there must be something there.

Sponsored Links
as said the turf will rot down and put nutrients into the soil. You need to get as much organic matter into the soil as possible. It will improve the drainage and the nutrient of the soil.

Potatoes are a good crop as they help to break up the soil. It will very much be a case of trial and error. somethings will grow well, others wont. give it all a try and see.

tastes so much better though. Weve got three allotments, a polytunnel and a smallholding. started with one allotment 6 years ago. we are virtually self sufficent, and produce enogh to pass or sell onto friends etc. Youll be amazed how much you get out of the hard work you put into it.

The key with the children is to put in some fast growing crops that they can see quick results with, such as raddishs, lettuce etc.

Lee - I think raised beds are the way to go - looks neater, easier to manage, soil warms-up quicker so you (your kids) get a head start in Spring. Make them out of timber gravel boards (6" x 7/8"), these come in lengths up to 3.6m & shorter. A 3.6m GB will cost about £7 so you could make a 3.6M x 1M bed for less than £20. Start collecting humas now, clippings, leaves, horse-dung, etc. (ask the neighbours for composting stuff) so your over-Wintering compost'll be ready for the Spring.

er no!

if you want a really cheap way to do raised beds, go to a local scaffolding company. most will sell old boards they cant use for a £1 or so a board. they last years

Raised beds are better for practical reasons such as warmth and easier slug control, but in my opinion they look worse.
My veg patch blends in and looks just like another part of the garden which it wouldn't do with raised beds.

If I could get the wood and the wife would allow it though, I'd still switch to raised beds in a shot.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you need to be careful mixing potatoes and tomatoes in the same soil because of blight.

The main thing to sort out for soil quality is your own compost.
If you have some already that's great, but if not starting now may still get you something you can dig in in early spring.
Producing your own compost will also be sustainable which'll be another good lesson for them.
You want to add your cardboard, toilet roll cores, non-glossy paper, shreddings to your kitchen vegatable scraps and grass cuttings.

A lot of councils no longer recycle toilet roll cores and cardboard as it's "too low quality" even though most people don't realise this and still put them out.

Your egg boxes and tea bags should go in the compost as well.

People I know who have moved to raised beds have ordered a delivery of mushroom compost to initially fill them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back