building approval and loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of desciding whether to convert my loft. The main problem I have is that to comply with building regs I have to install a corridor downstairs for passage to final exit. This will make the ground floor open plan living area quite small. Does anyone know if it is okay to build the corridor and then once certification has been awarded remove it. Obviously this is a bit of acheat, but I am wondering what the implications are for me, i.e. would I have to put the corridor back in when it comes to sell etc. I have heard something along the lines of it is okay 12 months after the work has finished.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
You can do what you like once the work has been signed off. It does not make it "OK" though.

If someone subsequently dies in a fire, and the insurers wont pay out, and you get hauled before the court, then you will know who to blame :rolleyes:

Thanks for response Woody

Yes I understand the risks from that side. However it is only myself and my partner who live at the address and are both okay with the potential fire risk. Do you happen to know whether this liability follows through once you have moved out and sold to someone else.

Cheers

You would be personally liable for altering work which did comply to a condition that the [alteration] work no longer complies. As this is fire safety related, then it would be potentially serious.

Once sold, the onus would pass to the new owners. But I'm not sure if all of your liability does actually pass with any sale of the property. I would assume it depends on the facts disclosed at sale time

If the property is attached to others, then the risk applies to neighbouring properties too and not just you and your partner.

If a serious fire did occur, then the fire and insurance investigation would likely uncover the altered work, and then the LA would become involved to determine if a prosecution is warranted.

Now, whether your proposal will be found out or not, is the chance you take

Sponsored Links
The other option is to fit a fire activated sprinkler system to protect the escape route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back