roof terrace covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have to create a walk on roof terrace i have been told to use 9 by 2 joist and sterling board as sub floor base. i am not sure what to cover sub floor with as i have to tile with ceramic tiles. i don't no what will be best to adhere to. what would be the best way to make sure i have a completely water proof floor as i don't want any leaks

Sponsored Links
First you fit a normal built-up felt or asphalt cover, and then you would lay some " promenade tiles " on spacers (google)

cheers 4 that mate would you use a torch on felt on the sterlin board or should i use 3 quatre ply. and would that be enough of a water proof membrane. someone mentioned a 3 felt system but i don't no if this would be beneficial when it is to be tiled. what is is the difference between promenade tiles and ceramic tiles thanks again i just want to make sure it is a good job

Although sterling board is acceptable for decking, I'd prefer external grade ply (18mm minimum)

The felt may not be exposed, but it will still potentially experience the same thermal stresses (expansion in summer and freezing in winter) and this does wear it down, and eventually crack the bitumen. So don't go for a lesser specified felt just because it's covered.

Promenade tiles is a generic term and will apply to concrete or ceramic, but the important thing is the spacers and drainage beneath. You can't stick ceramic tiles down to the felt like you would on a floor

Sponsored Links
will try the ply then instead thanks. when you say spacers and drainage below do you mean they do not sit directly onto the felt, if so what do you do instead of grouting i was going to lay joists with a fall to the front of the building and fit guttering underneath to collect the run off. the effect was going to be like a bathroom floor non slip tile and grout. i have done hundreds of bathroom floors but this will be my first outdoor tiling venture kind of thought it would be pretty much the same deal. got a couple of weeks to get as much info as i can before i start it.cheers for advise

You can not treat tiles as a 100% waterproof barrier no matter how well layed and grouted.

sorry i don't mean tiling straight to ply i was gonna lay the 3 layers of felt first i just meant the laying of tiles on top of the felt being the same sort of application as a bathroom finding it dificult to get info on which adhesive would be best to stick to felt at moment, dont understand what woody meant about spacers.

the promenade tiles woody mentioned are thick porous tiles that are laid on hot bitumen over an asphalt or felt roof. They are spaced a few mm apart and then not pointed to allow for drainage. Check them out on google somewhere as woody mentioned.

They are simliar in shape and look( not colour) when layed to a bar of dairymilk.

gotcha cheers mate had a look on google for them now i c, aint really rocket sience but only easy if you no how :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back