Ideal Isar HE24 boiler, banging noises when heating on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is about 3 years old and worked fine the first two. I have never had any problems with the hot water but, since last winter, whenever the heating is on for more than about 40 minutes it starts making an awful banging noise, which is very loud, and I have to turn it off. When I turn it back on after 10 minutes or so it works fine again for a while and then the noise starts again. I have tried turning the temperature down but that hasnt helped.

Last winter it did this constantly and I had someone out to take a look but he said unless he could hear it making the noise then he wouldnt be able to diagnose the fault, of course every time he was here is didnt do it. I havent had the heating on really this summer and no problems, but have had it on today and after 40 minutes its making the noise again.

Does anyone have any ideas. The guy who came to fix it was confused because it doesnt do it for the hot water too?

Sponsored Links
do rads get VERY hot - sounds as though CH thermister could be faulty

Although the HW works, I would be looking at the DV or the pump.

Had the pump on these although the DHW appeared to work.

Sponsored Links
I think ideal had an issue with their diverter valves on this appliance. Sure at some point they were repairing them foc. They was replacing the whole manifold as opposed to just the internals or head of the valve.

Thanks for the ideas. Will pass them on to boiler man, not that I should have to give him ideas though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back