'Burning' smell - but not . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quickie for peace of mind -

Monday we had a new consumer unit installed to replace an old wired fuse unit, plus several new wall switches and sockets - this after a PIR inspection which revealed the house wiring ( 1983 installation ) was basically sound but was in need of updating in the fittings area.

Tonight we noticed a smell in our front porch - similar to the smell from new electrical appliances used for the first time - not smoke - no sign of that, and nothing is hot to the touch that has been replaced, the front of the consumer unit under the hinged cover is cool, no mcb's are warm to the touch and so on.

Is this usual ?

runing the back of my hand over the insulation on the new tails and wiring everything is cold.

Gerry

Sponsored Links
No!

It most certainly in not normal.

It is possible there is a loose connection or something in the CU.

I would get your electrician back ASAP to take a look.

Any reputable electrician will turn up pretty damn quick if you metion there is a burning smell coming from your new CU

Any naked halogen lamps in your porch?

(Had the same burning smell 2 days ago, found half a wasp under a halogen lamp.)

Just one normal ceiling light in the porch ( new too - replaced at the same time )

I'll give them a ring first thing - in fact I wil ring them now and leave a message for them to come and check first thing.

They are a reputable firm which my boss/landlord uses for everything and are very good. (tied cottage)

I know he had a struggle with access so it could very well be a loose connection. Will just do a run around and check all the new fittings again, but am not delving further into the consumer unit than under the hinged cover !

Should I be thinking of clicking off any non essential loads in there ?

Sponsored Links
Is the CU actually in the porch? You havn't put a higher rated lamp in the light than is permitted with the shade. In the upheaval has dust settled on the lamp and is now warming up??

CU is in the porch, the lamp is new (well - the rose/ceiling fitting is)and as fitted by the electricians on Monday. Shade is glass.

Its definately an electrical type smell, not a regular burning smell if you see what I mean.

So should I be clicking off non essential breakers ?

I think I'd be inclined to turn the whole lot off at the main isolator, and don't open the freezer while it's off.

If it's from the lamp the smell will die down after a couple of hours. If it's the CU it may well depend on the circuit used. For example a cooker or a shower.

I never treat a burning smell lightly, but usually it's something like a dead fly. If it's dissipated now it may be nothing. If it happens again, try to work out out which appliance you were using just before.

Well - I switched off the main breaker last night 'just in case' will see what the electricians find this morning - if anything.

Power is back on, as whatever it is does not seem to be a power on instant disaster type thing, to try and see if the smell returns while cooker or shower is in use this morning - will report on the findings later hopefully !

I am certain it is not the light fitting as this is only on for maybe 10 seconds a time and only to use the front door.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Gerry

Ha Ha :D

I became known as a bit of a Pyromaniac as I have a deep interest in the proper use of fireworks and am a display operator for a large UK firework company :D

Ha Ha :D

I became known as a bit of a Pyromaniac as I have a deep interest in the proper use of fireworks and am a display operator for a large UK firework company :D

O thats ok then, had me worried for a bit there lol. Have the sparky's been back yet?

Due around lunchtime, so I am doing my bit, every breaker except the main one off and then tring them one by one - switching everything on associated with that breaker to see which circuit produces the smell.

Not lights so far, and not sockets downstairs.

I'm putting my money on the cooker circuit.

Well - a mystery - Electrician came - opened up the CU and checked evrything - no loose wires or connections, all the breakers tested ok for operation, and all new fittings tested and checked out ok.

He went through each connection in turn and checked every connection up to and including the CU ones from the Co. fuse onwards.
We switched everything on at once to put as much load on the system as we could and nothing even remotely warmed up.

One idea was that we have a redundant economy 7 wireless switching thing that looks old and is not connected to anything anymore as storage heating was removed, it may be faulty.

But no smells last night or today which is good - so maybe a connection was not loose but not tight enough after all !

So I am happy with it all now. he showed me the Co. fuse and said just pull it if there appear any real problems - proper smoke or heat.
( it hasnt had any seals on it since the elec Co changed the meter a few years back )

Gerry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back