New UPVC window frame hidden behind reveal - Help!!

adc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The widows are being replaced by a company, they've taken wooden frames out and installed upvc. The property is 1917. There are a number of windows that the frame is hidden behind the plastered reveal on the inside, only 1/4" showing to the room.

The fit is first class on the outside. I've asked how they measured the size, told the external brick opening only.

Should I accept this as I belive the internal view is more important than the external. They are talking about hacking plaster off inside.

I would've thought both internal and external measurements should have been taken and window made to fit internal and then clip on a section to outside to finish?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your internal walls have been studded out & plaster boarded over at some point, possibly with some form of insulation behind. IMO, what your DG Company has done is correct; it’s standard practice to make/fit windows to the external brick opening otherwise you would have real problems getting a weather tight seal & the security of the window fixings would be compromised unless some form of framing was fitted within the opening first. Using a cover section over such a large gap on the outside would, in my view, be a total bodge & would look really strange from the outside. Removing what sounds like plasterboard over studding from the internal reveal & refinishing inside as suggested is the way to go although it may cost more & needs to be done properly or it will look like a pigs ear.

Normal procedure would be to measure external, then internal plaster line
to see how much frame will be visible and using add on sections to bring the internal sightline to a suitable sightline. as not to loose the frame behind the plaster.any body worth their salt can ascertain on site if add ons or knockons as they are commonly known are required. if you do not want to see the joint externally then we would increase the profile to the next size ours comes in three different sizes. so eliminates using add ons.

Sponsored Links
Normal procedure would be to measure external, then internal plaster line
to see how much frame will be visible and using add on sections to bring the internal sightline to a suitable sightline. as not to loose the frame behind the plaster.any body worth their salt can ascertain on site if add ons or knockons as they are commonly known are required. if you do not want to see the joint externally then we would increase the profile to the next size ours comes in three different sizes. so eliminates using add ons.
A solution from someone in the trade that obviously knows! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back