Autumn Lawn Care ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi budding gardeners.
Need some advice re lawn care for the autumn.
Back Garden was revamped in March by laying land drains, gravel, sand, 10 tonne topsoil and then new turf. Looks fab but in places there are very small but random yellow areas. Now i have looked into applying a seasonal lawn feed and some sites advise against this with the lawn being under 1 year old ?? Mainly found it was a spring summer feed they advised against due to the phosphate ?? Can i go ahead and apply an autumn feed and weed plus give the whole lawn and light raking over ??

Front Lawn was re-laid 2 years ago and in places there are moss patches and a few weeds starting to sprout. Again conflicting advice found as i want to scarify the lawn, aerate it and apply a lawn feed, some sites say to apply the feed then rake over in 2 weeks others say rake and scarify then apply the feed ???? Confused now

Any advice guys n gals ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, for your back garden I would give it a light/shallow aeration up to about 3 inches deep with solid slit tines and certainly a winter fertilizer. The grass should not yet require scarifying as this is only carried out to remove 'thatch' build up in base of grass. Just keep it clean of dead leaves/debris with a rake.

The front garden, is it shaded? surface moss indicates compaction of the soil in a sheded area. Clear the moss off, tickle over the patches with a fork and aerate with the fork to at least 4 inches deep. Sow an appropriate grass seed onto the bare patches. The odd weeds simply hand weed out and sow grass seed into the bare patches. You should not need to scarify such a young lawn simply aerate with solid tine and apply winter fertilizer. That is a fertilizer high in potash and phospate just what the grass need right now.

You should be aiming to continue to help the young grass build up a strong root system, the above advise will do that for you. After a couple more years scarifying may be benificial. Its been 30 odd years since I gained my C and G lawn culture but not to much in the basics have changed in that time, ideally it would be nice to see the lawns in question but thats a tad tricky. Good luck.

Thank you very much Mulberry, very detailed and helpful.
Do you have a particular fertilizer that you can recommend as there are so many to pick from these days

Only 18 posts in nearly two years?

Oh but Mulberry, you have so much to give... :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Just to busy with all the D.I.Y. and looking after the World Deluks, its a tough life but somebody has to do it :LOL:

Sorry don't have any trade names that I can recommend, for the Autunm / Winter dressing go for the higher Potash and Phospate content, whatever you do do not apply a high Nitrogen fertilizer at this time of year, save that for Spring dressing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back