Re-sealing fibrelass roof to asbestos panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We had a fibreglass roof put on our garage & over the front door about 8 years ago but the sealant has perished. Our 1920's, square bayed semi has that mock tudor frontage (black& white). The large white panels are asbestos which are painted with emulsion, the black is wood painted with gloss. The fibre glass roof buts up to the asbestos panel & wood frontage, (this is where the sealant has perished & come away). The gap aginst the asbestos is probably about 2.5cm & the wood 0.5cm

Can anyone please tell me the right sort of mastic/sealant to use to reseal it which will stick to both the asbestos & wood aswell as the fibreglass.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think a sealant is going to be much good if the gap is 2.5cm. It will do but you will use a lot of it!

You may need to use something like Flashband to cover the gap and a suitable sealant like Roofers Mate to seal it.

Get a proper mastic company round, they will probably use Arbosil 1081 or similiar, and have no problem filling an inch gap.

Sponsored Links
Yes times have changed and sealant improved there are many modern sealants that are gap-filling. But as this was a DIY question, then the OP will need a few tubes of quality sealant, or less sealant and an additional means of covering the gap.

Edit:
I've just googled that Arbosil 1081 product and it seems to be just a normal silicone sealant, but mainly recommended for sanitary use - also many glass and koi carp suppliers are selling it! So maybe not the best one for this job?

How about using a polyurethane expanding foam tape, we've used this to good effect when a Velux foam filling has disintigrated.

Edit:
I've just googled that Arbosil 1081 product and it seems to be just a normal silicone sealant, but mainly recommended for sanitary use - also many glass and koi carp suppliers are selling it! So maybe not the best one for this job?

Yes it is, due to being LM and its bonding qualities

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back