Water pipes set in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I'm moving my kitchen sink from in front of the window to an island type unit so I've got to get the water supply and waste to/from the new sink location. The floor is concrete.
Can I just channel the floor to suit and bury the pipes under floor level ? Do I have to use any protective conduit like you do with electrical cables ? Are there any other rules regarding this practice that I need to follow please ?
All advice much appreciated. :D
Cheers,
P.J.

Sponsored Links
Put insulated pipes in a duct which you make for the purpose - you can buy plastic flat U section which takes a 12mm plywood lid. Don't get concrete anywhere near copper. I've dug up pipes which were wrapped in that hairy lagging then buried in concrete. They were fragile tubes of green copper oxide, even though there was no direct contact. I htink the concrete held the water in!

Your biggest headache here is going to be the drainage. I guess you need a macerator to pump the waste up to the ceiling and over, or through small bore pipe under the floor and up again into the gully or vertical waste stack the other side of your kitchen wall.

Simply running a 40mm waste pipe under the floor and into the gully or stack the other side of your kitchen wall might not meet with the approval of the building inspector. It all depends on the property and wether the height of the kitchen floor relative to the height of any gully will alow a continuous fall. It might be feasible to excavate a narrow trench parallel to the outside wall allowing a connection into any nearby vertical waste stack below the level of the adjacent path/garden.

A stub stack under the units of the island and a new underground drain is another option. However running a new drain through the foundation of your kitchen wall and excavating the existing drain with which it must be united, won't be cheap.

Drains are not my thing really, perhaps someone else will have a better solution. However I would advise you to get the drainage solution sorted with the building inspector before you purchase your kitchen units.

Sponsored Links
Dear All,
Thanks for the information - very helpful. Yes I can see the waste will pose the biggest problem, unfortunately the kitchen units are ordered! :oops:
Oh well, where there's a well there's a way - maybe I need a well ?! :confused:
All further advice most welcome.
Thanks again,
P.J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back