Rendering Pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Is it possible to render over pebble dash.

I have had a quotation for rendering a four storey building and that it what they want to do. Remove any pebble dash that is live and key up the rest and render.

Is that the best way of doing it or should they be hacking off and starting again.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's debatable. Most plasterers would render onto a new scratch coat. I roughcast onto existing old, sound pebbledash/roughcast without any problem, it's rough onto rough,, but I have never cement rendered onto existing old and patched pebbledash. There's a lot more finnese required with rendering, and I think if you put render straight onto a rough pebbledashed surface without any scratch coat, there might be a problem with some of the prouder areas of chips when trying to rule off and straighten the coat, and again, when rubbing up with the float....Maybe some of the other guys might know differently.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the reply, has anyone any other thoughts on this, need to make a decision tomorrow.

Thanks

You can render on top of pebble-dash but you have to prepare it. Also you have to rememeber that you have already got a thick coat on your wall and you are going to put another one on the top therefore making it a lot thicker. This will alter distances between ,down-pipes, drain- pipe, existing soil-pipes and such.Bear that in mind before you go ahead. What I would do if the existing p/dash is sound and not been painted is to "splatter-dash the whole lot with a 4-1 mix with unibond in it.This would control the suction for you and then scratch it all up to a fair line(it might even need 2 scratchs) Then flat coat it rub it up and sponge finish it...Good Luck ;)

Sponsored Links
If the existing dash is solid then just render over the top no problem, do not use pva over the existing , if you kneed to slow suction then use sbr , you should have enough of a mechanical key with the exist dash just scrape any loose pebbles off with a shovel and render away , this way would be much more cost effective than trying to hack of the orig and a lot less damaging to the substrate . as per previous post there really is not a lot of info to go on in your post try and elaborate .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back