Issues with workmen [Building]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there, i made this initial post over on one of a set of forums that i use regularly, however because of the issue at hand, someone recommended that i perhaps get some advice here.

This is a direct copy/paste just so you know!

==

So anyway, a few days ago one of our spare rooms at home had a large wardrobe removed, because it was first taking up space, and a lot of the clothes/storage was compacted and moved.

Our house presently has 2 "bathrooms". Theres a small one, which now only has a wash-basin and toilet, and the other bathroom is a large one which was part of an extensive extension. The smaller bathroom had the bath removed, which meant while the room was small, it had a significant amount of room which wasnt particularly used.

The small bathroom is somewhat ajoining [If thats the word...] to the spare room, so mum decided to look through the local-papers, and find some builders who could knock a small doorway from the bathroom, to this spare room. Then block off the extra bit to make it into a walk-in Wardrobe - Thus saving space.

She got a number of quotes, before eventually deciding to go with a company which was "Something-Something plasterers and builders" [I will find the description in a bit - Which was from the local newspaper].

Two men started work a few days ago, they proceeded to knock the doorway in with i think a hammer of sorts. Mum initially said it should have been with a mechanical-device, but no matter. She was slightly furious for the fact however that they did not put any dustmats down, nor did they close the door.

When she come upstairs, she seen that the upstairs was like a bomb had hit it, covered in dust everywhere. They said not to worry about it though. I didnt personally see much of it, but at the end of the day when the new wall was erected [Giggle] i went to use the toilet when i noticed something at the bottom of it.

No. It wasnt a floater. It was a heavy material. What they had done is poured plaster down the toilet, and flushing it wasnt clearing it. Add on to the fact that they didnt clean anything up. So my mum pretty much spent a few hours 1] Sifting through the toilet removing the remnants of the plaster and 2] cleaning up the spare bedroom which was covered in plaster which had dried on the floor.

Their "un"professionalism astounded me greatly. The next day, the room was a complete mess again which my mum had to clean up. They bagged up some stuff [Waste] which they put outside. It was things like bricks and stuff i assume. They said THEY wont be getting rid it of, because they arent allowed to tip it.

So it was building up outside, my mum confused at this because of the fact that shes never had that issue with previous workmen. Now, i personally feel that 1] Back when we had the other extensions, my dad was alive, and he overseen much of what they was doing, but now, shes just a lowly pensioner who i assume they think can be an easy touch.

Yesterday, one of my brothers come around and looked at the doorframe before he started laughing. He said the doorframe wasnt angled correctly, so the top end of the doorframe was wider, and the bottom of the doorframe was narrower.

Today the **** hit the fan though, all i heard was a huge war of words between my mum and the single-workman who was here today, firstly over the mess he was making and over the shoddiness that she thought they were concocting. He just laughed it off though.

My mums sister arrived not long after, went upstairs. She come back down with some terrific news. She said she spoke to the workman, and found out that he ISNT a builder, and nor was his friend. Infact, they was just plasterers [Which infact, my mum had serious issues with too]. They knocked a wall in, and built up a new one, and by all accounts they was not qualified to do so.

By this time, im pretty sure steam was coming out of my dearest mothers ears, she felt she was lead along, and they falsley advertised what they was [Considering they're title was BUILDERs and Plasterers -Plus, they didnt DENY anything when they accepted the job].

The plastering work, my mum felt was crap as well, pieces of plaster had cracked off, and i believe they decided to fill in the cracks with a filler, and on the corners you can see the grills coming through, that was something i noticed though, not my mum.

The workman when he left felt totally deflated, he said he is getting a skip to to come tomorrow to clean up the back from the stuff they left and he will be here to finish some stuff off. After he left i went to inspect the "damage" and took a few pictures, some which my mum brought to my attention. In spoilers because there is about 6-7 of them.

The image tag doesnt seem to be working***

This is the doorframe a few days ago as it was barebones
http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=baredoorgt1.jpg

This is the doorframe today, hint: Look at the top of the doorframe
http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorframe1nh6.jpg

Here is the top of the doorway from the picture above. Just incase you missed it!
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorframe3el2.jpg

Here is a full picture of the doorframe. Notice the slant of the right hand beam?
http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorframe2rx2.jpg

This next pic is quite awesome in its own right. There is a HUGE gap between the doorframe beam, and the actual wall. Whereas other doors have being flush to the wall...
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorgaphe8.jpg

As above, different angle.
http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorgapangletl5.jpg

This is from INSIDE the small wardrobed room. My mum brought this up, i particularly dont know whats happening.
http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=insidedoormm0.jpg

And finally.

This is regarding plastering, under the shelf a large crack is very apparent. Also the corner you can slightly see the thinning of the plaster.
http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plasterfirent4.jpg

So yeah. Hes coming around again tomorrow to finish up. Mum is somewhat worried over the wall, but will have to see what comes of it!

==

A few questions where brought up about this. The rooms in question are based upstairs. The larger-spare room is the FRONT bedroom, which has then had the hole [Door] knocked through into the [Smaller] bathroom whch is also upstairs and at the front of the house.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that it isn't a supporting wall and it's brick/block construction. Please tell me they have put a lintel above the door frame to support the brickwork above! Also I hope they haven't been paid yet as you may have to get a proper builder in to rectify their mess.

Not entirely too sure.

I know my mum was very concerned with the top of the doorframe, as she said all they did was put some wood between the door and the brickwork, whereas she was expecting metal or something.

But after she spoke to one or two people, they said it wasnt unusual for wood to be used. The guy are scheduled to come back within the next hour or so to continue the work - Or at least finish up the job.

For completion of the job, i do believe the price [Which they originally quoted anyway...] was set at something like £500 for the walk-in wardrobe and plastering around the room, but i think they're gooing to be mighty lucky if they get that today.

Sponsored Links
oh Tremlar ;)

Got a new pic just now since the door support has been brought up.

Note, i managed to fit fingers in the gap between the wall and the doorframe, as i was looking up and down i noticed the wood-support was showing. Perfect!

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorgaplitor3.jpg

Grabbed my torch and took the pic, this is what i believe to be the support that the doorframe has at the moment

AD - shoddy, shoddy, shoddy workmanship! They MUST NOT be paid until the problems are resolved, if ever.

In one of the pics they've sponged on some plaster to the wall above the new opening to attempt to disguise a crack - a classic sign that the wall has dropped and developed a crack (in fact the crack can be seen). This will have been caused by lack of correct support or incorrect installation method for lintel.

The gap behind the architrave in the last pic is inexcusable!

Why didn't they cut the picture rail and install the architraves to match the neighbouring door? Nothing looks plumb/square. Badly cut mitres in architrave filled with mastic/Polyfilla (shouldn't be needed if the job's done properly)

What you need to do is tell them you are going to contact your local Trading Standards Dept. about the appalling standard of work.

it is not easy to do work that badly.

it's as if they have actually tried to make it as bad as they could. :eek:

I do believe they're coming back on Monday to see about picking up [Any] payments. In the meantime i believe mum will be in contact with Trading Standards over it also on Monday.

So, the gap which was present on the doorframe looks to have since been filled in now.

http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorgapplasterzl2.jpg

You can hardly notice there was a gap after all! ;)

Another one which i noticed was, when the wall was of course knocked through, the floorboards were exposed. This was recently covered over with a few layers of wood, strangely, when [if] you stand on it, it feels a bit... bendy. Wouldnt like to get my foot trapped down there if it unexpectedly collapsed!

http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=floorbridgeev3.jpg

Juding by it, dog wasnt impressed either!

maybe the door and frame are level and your house is off! :LOL:

dont pay them

You cant just not pay them. as harsh as this sounds if you do not pay full stop. you are in the wrong.

what you need to do is put down in writing a full list of defects then give them notice to rectify the works.usually 7 days.

the works are appalling. I don't think they are even plasters?

Yeah, does seem unfair for the time they have put in, albeit, it doesnt seem as if its upto satisfactory condition, or at least, wasnt. They're expecting £500 from the initial quoatation, no idea if thats what my mum thinks it was worth [Haaa].

This morning, i decided to check the room out before the workmen arrived to add some "finishing touches". This was mainly to see how everything looked while it had time to dry out and then just get some "before and after" pics.

The picture im going to post now is of the inside door. I actually thought i posted this earlier when someone mentioned "You can see the cracks as clear as day", but clearly i overlooked one of the other pictures and seen this.

This was taken at approx 9am, http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=insidecrackql5.jpg The plastering above the frame looks like it was cracking under pressure, although personally, i have absolutely no idea if thats normal, but with everything that has been transpiring i just had to take the picture in the state that it was in.

About 8 hours later, after the workmen had finished, i went to check on the cracks and noticed they magically disapeared. http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=insidecrackplasteredbi9.jpg So i dont know if they just skimmed over the surface of the previous plaster which had cracks in. If so, i have no idea if thats what you do! [And i would feel lucky i managed to snag a picture of what it looked like before].

So anyway, they're coming back on Monday. My mum has been told by several friends, not to answer the door when they come knocking. Instead, to get into contact with Trading Standards, let them look at it if possible on Monday [Although i dont know the ETA's on how soon a building can be seen], once this has been completed, we can progress onto payments and what not.

I have seen this problem many times before. It seems when you get a tradesman into your house to do a job you never can tell. :(
However I think if I were looking for a tradesman now I would probably look on this forum or others first because the people on here are probably at the top of their game. Why else would they take time to answer Joe Bloggs questions if they were not genuinely interested in their own particular field. As apposed to the in out thankyou mam attitude of some. I once got a heating engineer round to quote for all new radiator valves only to find when he had gone I had no hot water. :( I did think it strange at the time when he said he needed to see my boiler. He had turned the DHW therm down to zero...No dought waiting for an emergency call from me. And the old dear next door was quoted £3500 for a combi out combi in. And later had it done by an older and wiser heating engineer for £1600. You takes your chance. :eek:
unfortunately it makes you suspicious of all tradesmen even the good guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back