Noggins, noggins, everywhere, but not where I'd like them!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace some plasterboard in an alcove area in a downstais cloakroom. I removed this as it seemed easier than getting the tile adhesive off, as I saw recommended in another thread.

The back wall is 1170mm wide by 2310 high.

There were full width noggins 1/3 and 1/2 of the way down the wall already. I have also added noggins (using 45 degree angled screws due to access constraints) to the right hand 2/3 of the width, 1/3 of the way up in order to screw the new wash stand to them. There are a further 2 on the left hand side and one on the right in the top third.

The new boards are 900x1200, meaning I will need 3 across the back wall.

I am reluctant to add more noggings where the boards will joint as there are so many already!!

Should I

a) Cut the board, which would remove a wrapped edge in order to screw the joint at an existing nogin, but would presumably give me a poorer join than between two wrapped edges.

Or

b) Is it better for the boards to join away from a noggin

Or

c) Stick yet more noggins in

There is a central stud and one at each edge. Plus, the bottom half of the wall also has two intermediate studs from the central noggin to the sole plate.

Sponsored Links
Always better to join a board on a noggin, much stronger job that way.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the reply Roughcaster.

I could use the existing noggin locations by cutting both sealed edges off the middle board reducing it to 79cm and cutting the top one to 74cm and the lower one to 78cm.

Does it matter if the noggins I use are inboard by say 5mm relative to the studs or at a slight angle?

KeRa

Sponsored Links
The face of the noggins must be flush with the face of the studs or you’ll pull the board in (or pull the screws through) when you screw it up; pack it out if necessary. Not sure exactly what you mean by “at a slight angle” but if the face of the noggin is flush & in the same plane as the studs (i.e. not twisted), it doesn’t really matter if they are at a slight angle in the horizontal plane as long as the edge of the board is fully supported & you have enough space to get the screws in; put them too near the edge of the board & it will fracture. It’s important the edges of the board are adequately supported to prevent it cracking but, assuming you’re getting the new PB skimmed, it doesn’t matter if you cut the sealed paper edges; plasterer’s do it all the time, we just fill & tape them before skimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back