disconect solid fuel back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to disconect a solid fuel back boiler after draining down, in the cuboard next to the fire, ie cut the pipes, let what little water ramains in the back boiler burn off, and then use the fire without the back boiler. would need to leave open ends for back boiler to burn of what little water remains , ie steam. Once this has happened is the solid fuel fire good to use. your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
in a word yes , as you say once the last bit of water has gone as steam it is fine to use as a normal solid fuel fire

drill the heat exchanger 8-10mm and collect the remnants in a bowl,safest way otherwise some fool may plug the open ends in the future.

ive done it with mine, just be aware that even with the water burnt off the pipes still put a lot of heat out so watch your kids etc.

i didnt drill the H/E as i didnt fancy the chance of POC's escaping, plus i might use it again if the apocalypse comes. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I did this to my old back boiler also . Though the open pipes continued to vent a foul pong into the room so I plugged the pipe ends with expanding foam. Worked a treat. :D

Can I just bring all your attentions to the council and heating enginer that have recently been done for disconnecting and then plugging a back boiler. The resulting explosion killed the female resident. Whatever you do: DO NOT PLUG THE ENDS!

OOOPs. An old post dragged up.
Though I was seeing double for a minute there.LOL

Though the open pipes continued to vent a foul pong into the room so I plugged the pipe ends with expanding foam. Worked a treat

Deary dear. Not good :eek:

Correct way is to drain and fill with sand just in case some numpty does the above.

Would that be Kiln Dried sand like used in block paving...so you can pour it in :idea: ...Good idea though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back