New flat roof or.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flat roof on my extension, although not leaking as far as I'm aware, is in a poor state. There was a few splits at the edges and one about a meter from the edge which I have patched up for now. I think the boards beneath the felt are rotten as when I walk on the roof its very springy and the roof dips downin several areas. So to my question, I have never been a fan of flat roofs but I know it would be cheaper to have it reboarded and re-felted than to have a proper pitch roof installed but how much of a difference are we talking, the roof area is 5m x 3m can anyone give me an idea as to the cost of a new flat roof and proper pitched tiled roof.

Sponsored Links
To convert your roof to a pitch roof you are looking at 3 to 4x as much as it would cost to re-deck and recover it.

Based on a 60 year life of tiles to a 15-20 year life of felt, and given that you most likely wont be living there for another 60 years (?) then its just not cost effective to convert.

Also consider EPDM with will be cheaper than felt and have a potential greater life

Sponsored Links
Hear what you're saying and totally agree with your logic. I'm going to get some quotes anyway to see how much of a difference there is between flat and pitched as I do prefer the look of a pitched roof.

if it is 25% b.c. applicable then you will need to upgrade to expensive insulation deck.

the cost differences may be closer than you think....... :?:

Is that why I have noticed more roofing work being done at night and at weekends? :rolleyes:

Hands up anyone who would like to pay, or has paid the council for the privilege of replacing your own leaking roof felt, and then being asked to spend £00's more on upgrading the insulation?

Is that why I have noticed more roofing work being done at night and at weekends? :rolleyes:

Hands up anyone who would like to pay, or has paid the council for the privilege of replacing your own leaking roof felt, and then being asked to spend £00's more on upgrading the insulation?

at least the council can't tell us what time to go to bed at night.

can they? :eek:
:LOL:

Yes. Go now.

But first make sure you leave your bin out 200mm from the kerb, and make sure the lid is closed. Or you will be arrested for terrorism offences, your kids sent to the mines and your wife sent off for political correction.

Don't mess with the LA

mr-t.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back