Value for a re-tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was unfortunate enough to employ a building firm at work for a re-roof and extension who were both incompetent and dishonest and subsequently absent and insolvent. Some of the work had to be corrected / finished by another company and the rest, we're still dealing with.

What I am trying to establish is an approximate value for the re-tile. My accountant has asked me for a reasonable vlaue as part of the overall spend as this can go in my tax return as a repair attracting tax relief whereas the extension is new build.

The roofer was provided with a hipped duo pitch of Structural Insulated Panels which the sip guys fitted with roof shield, ready for the roofer to double batten

The overall size is 20m x 10.5m and the pitch 36 degrees.

There is one large pitched dormer in one end elevation and eight veluxes and two light tubes supplied on-site for fitting by the roofer who provided lead for flashings. The dormer window was fitted by me and the walls of the dormer were done in zinc by a specialst contractor, leaving only the little hipped pitched roof to tile.

We chose Britlock Slate tiles together with their dry verge system.

All the fascias and guttering are new uPVC and separate from the roofing job.

My question is whether there is a resource for valuing such a task or can you use a square meterage or could anyone give me an approximate value of the job.

Any helpful replies gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
flippin heck, you don't want much do you! :eek:

you have probably got upwards of 10k in materials. :eek: :eek:

Thanks noseall

I was thinking somewhere approaching £30k for the whole job inc materials would not be unreasonable.

It's just a best guess figure that I'm looking.

Gave all the details as often postings are very vague and hoped someone had recently done a roof of similar size

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. The work has been done in part by the first & second builder and myself. It's case of trying to estimate the refurbishment from the new build to keep the tax man happy.

I'll see what my accountant has to say and if he's not happy seek the advice of a QS

No, you just need to post on the electrics or pulumbing forums here without full details to get either/both sacastic comments or a picture of a ball of string wih the caption "how long"

plumbers and sparkys think that they are the guardians of a secret science and that mere mortals are incapable of understanding their wondrous trade.

a picture of a ball of string wih the caption "how long"

:idea: now that's an idea.

We have to make do with this one

View media item 2443
But I will stand up for it.

person A asks how much for job V

Person B says figure Q

Person C says no its more like figure T

or supose person A has a quote and its figure W (Figure W being lower than any given figure)

person A then says but i have been told it is figure W

so person who quoted asks who told you it was figure W?

person A has to reply with some person they don't know, they will never meet on a forum said so.

The other thing to be considered is, you have no idea if person A is giving you all the facts, be it intentional or not, you don't know. The only way you will know is to go and see the actual job in question.

That is why there are so many sarcastic replies to people who ask for quotes, the truth is, you can not give a rough price, cost, ball park figure, call it what you will unless you see the job, access to the job, parking etc.

Seen that picture on many occasions here too, Breezer but omitted to mention it for brevity.

Whilst appreciating your post, I've already completed the job and am trying to validate my own impression that £30k might be a reasonable figure against all monies paid for this and the other non deductable works for the tax man.

I may need to seek a cost from a QS who, I suspect, could give me such a figure based upon commonly charged labour rates and material costs without visiting the job. Now that may vary from what I might be quoted to actually do the job but it's still a view on the cost, which is what I was after here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back