Dripping Overflow Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My overflow pipe has been leaking for a while now and last week I had a plumber round to have a look at this and he advised that this was because the pipes were clogged up with some black gunge and this was casing the tank to overflow and the system would need to be flushed out which would cost a few hundred pounds. I mentioned this to a few guys at work one of which is currently doing a plumbing course and after he talked me through how a system works the original plumbers explanation doesn't seem to make sense and it seems more likely it's an issue with the ball valve. Can anyone confirm weather the plumbers explanation seems possible or is it more likely a problem with the ball valve?

Sponsored Links
i take it your talking about the f/e tank (small one out the two)
check the ball valve if it is faulty you'll see it filling the tank.
is this only happening when the heating/hw on ?
is the tank water hot ?
whats the condition of the water in the tank ?

Sorry my plumbing knowledge is pretty ropey but as far as I can see there is only one tank in my loft. The ball valve seems ok but looks quite old. As for when it's happening it seems to be pretty constant at the moment

is it a large tank or small ?
is the water clean or dirty ?
is it cold or hot ?

Sponsored Links
that sounds like the cws tank then.
check to see if the float valve is shutting fully and not running or dripping.
check if the water is coming in to the tank from the feed pipe in the bottom of the tank.
if you have any mixer taps they may be passing cold mains to hot gravity.
if the float valve is proved ok not letting by you can check if cold is passing to hot by isolating the mains stopcock and see if the overflow stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back