Internal doorway woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me with a problem I've got.

I've had a builder remove an internal brick wall to make an open plan kitchen diner and as part of that work the doorway has moved backwards into the hall so it's now flush with the lounge door and less space is wasted by the original L shaped design.

My problem is this: For reasons unknown the builder heard 'stud' when I said 'brick' and has left me with a plaster board wall/door frame. He's said a number of times he'll replace it with what I asked for but on the last call he now wants me to sign a wavier for any cracking etc due to the door frame being over floorboards. The (non supporting) walls upstairs seem to be suspended over the floorboards (some of which span the width of the house) and I was expecting the builder to do the same downstairs rather than throw the new bricks straight on top of the floorboards.

Can anyone offer advice - is the only way ahead to build on top of the floorboards or can the new brick doorframe be supported in a similar way to the 1st floor? The amount of brick either side of the door frame is only small but as the rest of the house is made of brick I want to (and thought I had) tried to keep this change in character.

Building is a 1950s ish semi.

Any thoughts / advice would be gratefully received.
Dave

Sponsored Links
so, you have a suspended timber ground floor, onto which you wanted a masonry (brick) wall building.

whereas, the builder using his fuzzy logic decided it was more sensible to build a stud wall due to the timber floor issue, right so far?

it is possible to build lightweight blockwork walls onto timber floors though they do require a timber bedding plate. i would not recommend it though.

the other option is to remove the boards, dig down and install a foundation. was this talked about?

what is your problem with the stud wall?

thanks for the post,

It's a concrete kitchen floor and suspended timber floor everywhere else. Mansonry walls throughout the house.

Digging down hasn't been discussed - is that a difficult (time consuming) job?

Problems with the stud wall 1) my personal preference, I can't quantify it, I prefer brick walls 2) Continuaty, he knocked down a brick wall, the rest of the house is brick, I wanted this addition in brick 3) I asked and paid for a brick doorway.

If a stud wall is the only sensible way to do it then I'll proceed as is but I want to be sure. I was expecting it to be possible to replicate the existing walls which are made of block and float above the floorboards (I guess supported by a beam directly off the joists).

Rgds

the problem with brick walls can be getting a decent connection to existing and stabilizing the uppermost part of the wall, when finishing at nothing but the the ceiling plasterboard. these problems can be exaggerated when building only small areas of masonry.

if you have your heart set on masonry, then so be it. but some issues may have to be overcome as stated in this and previous posts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back