Connecting 2 boilers together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I fitted a Rayburn 360K which is running my hot water and central heating via a vented (with header tank) fully pumped system as per the recommended setup contained in the Installation Instructions that came with the stove (see attached pic).Two large heat leak rads are already connected
I wish to connect a Esse Ironheart woodburning range with a boiler ( that will run hot water and one rad) into the system using gravity flow and hopefully the same header tank as the Rayburn.(Obviously not to run all the rads just the heat leak ones)
What is the simplest/best way of doing this.Can I tee it into the system? Do I need one way valves to stop heated water flowing round rayburn when its off ?
Thanks
Richard
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Easiest way to do this is with a dunsley neutraliser.

In principle the requirement to link two or more boilers into one heating system is relatively simple to arrange. In practice there are physical difficulties, possible dangers and in many cases high financial cost.

The difficulties lie in linking the boilers, so that one boiler when in operation does not supply the second boiler with hot water when it is not in operation. Attempts to link boilers in domestic situations have resulted in solutions which are either dangerous, expensive, complex or a combination of all three.

In converting an existing system most of the work is carried out within the cylinder cupboard, normally the C type Neutralizer is installed under the cylinder and the R type Neutralizer on the floor at the side of the cylinder, both work exactly the same.
Whichever Neutralizer you use the the location must be a minimum of 350mm above the solid fuel boiler to the bottom of the Neutralizer, this is to create a gravity circuit as shown in layout 2. There are nine connections on the Neutralizer, the top one is the vent, the side upper ones are the flow pipe connections and the bottom ones are the returns.

The solid fuel boiler must have 28mm flow and return pipes up to the Neutralizer to create a gravity circuit.
To stop the solid fuel boiler reaching an overheat situation a high limit pipe stat set at 85 degrees C is strapped onto the side of the Neutralizer ( or the gravity flow to it ) and wired to make on rise, this will over-ride any other control and switch on the central heating pump.

Very well explained there! I hope that its all taken on board.

The F&E tank should not be plastic as it can reach 100°C under some fairly normal operating conditions.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ask how much it'll cost.

Go on - you know you want to. :evil:

Thanks for the replies most helpful
I think I may go for a twin coil copper tank and keep the two systems seperate. I already have a sidewinder that I was going to use at some time for solar panels so I may fit this.
Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back