DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Connecting 2 boilers together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
dickandjill

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Hi
I fitted a Rayburn 360K which is running my hot water and central heating via a vented (with header tank) fully pumped system as per the recommended setup contained in the Installation Instructions that came with the stove (see attached pic).Two large heat leak rads are already connected
I wish to connect a Esse Ironheart woodburning range with a boiler ( that will run hot water and one rad) into the system using gravity flow and hopefully the same header tank as the Rayburn.(Obviously not to run all the rads just the heat leak ones)
What is the simplest/best way of doing this.Can I tee it into the system? Do I need one way valves to stop heated water flowing round rayburn when its off ?
Thanks
Richard
[/img]
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
possum_jenkins

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Easiest way to do this is with a dunsley neutraliser.

In principle the requirement to link two or more boilers into one heating system is relatively simple to arrange. In practice there are physical difficulties, possible dangers and in many cases high financial cost.

The difficulties lie in linking the boilers, so that one boiler when in operation does not supply the second boiler with hot water when it is not in operation. Attempts to link boilers in domestic situations have resulted in solutions which are either dangerous, expensive, complex or a combination of all three.

In converting an existing system most of the work is carried out within the cylinder cupboard, normally the C type Neutralizer is installed under the cylinder and the R type Neutralizer on the floor at the side of the cylinder, both work exactly the same.
Whichever Neutralizer you use the the location must be a minimum of 350mm above the solid fuel boiler to the bottom of the Neutralizer, this is to create a gravity circuit as shown in layout 2. There are nine connections on the Neutralizer, the top one is the vent, the side upper ones are the flow pipe connections and the bottom ones are the returns.

The solid fuel boiler must have 28mm flow and return pipes up to the Neutralizer to create a gravity circuit.
To stop the solid fuel boiler reaching an overheat situation a high limit pipe stat set at 85 degrees C is strapped onto the side of the Neutralizer ( or the gravity flow to it ) and wired to make on rise, this will over-ride any other control and switch on the central heating pump.
 Alert Moderators
possum_jenkins

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Just to add this is not a job many installers would relish so prepare yourself for some ridiculous quotes!
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Very well explained there! I hope that its all taken on board.

The F&E tank should not be plastic as it can reach 100C under some fairly normal operating conditions.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
Softus

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Ask how much it'll cost.

Go on - you know you want to. icon_twisted.gif
 Alert Moderators
MarkBarl

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote

I expect Softus would quote is standard fee. One million pounds. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
dickandjill

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies most helpful
I think I may go for a twin coil copper tank and keep the two systems seperate. I already have a sidewinder that I was going to use at some time for solar panels so I may fit this.
Any thoughts?
 Alert Moderators
possum_jenkins

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it any other way than with a dunsley.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: