Cold radiator, tried everything i can think of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving into my house last year I have always had one radiator not heating up in a bedroom.

The pipe into the trv is very hot where the pipe on the other side is cold.

I have replaced the trv, removed and cleaned the radiator, bleed all radiators, turned off every radiator apart from this one but still does not heat up.

While the radiator was off the wall I opened both valves and water came out both, slightly more pressure out of the trv.

Anyone have any idea on what else to do?

Sponsored Links
The radiator is full of water and hot water will flow through to the bleed tap when I bleed it. It's just the water will not flow through it for some reason.
Might try replacing the valve the other side although it seemed ok.

Could be that it is plumbed in wrong. Both pipes connected to the flow, or return?

Sponsored Links
To me it sounds like its filling up via the return pipe and thats why its cold.

Replace the other valve and remove the 2 tails from the rads, then try clean out the rad with a garden hose.

Stick it all back together.

Does hot water come out of the flow pipe?

Could be that it is plumbed in wrong. Both pipes connected to the flow, or return?

Found that was the exact problem after taking the floor up.
When the house was built there was 4 pipes from 2 radiators coming through a joist. The builders obviously got the pipes a bit mixed up. Which also explains why my other radiator never got very hot.

Thanks for everyones replys, glad to have a warm room again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back