Solitary stone cold radiator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I would like to know what could be causing just one radiator to fail to heat properly or at all! The small lounge rad and the pipes into it are all stone cold when every other rad in the flat are good and warm. Have tried bleeding but full of water. And have fiddled with thermostat and on/off knob at other end but nothing happens. Any ideas on what it could be...I am thinking a broken or ceased up link somewhere perhaps. Help appreciated. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
The small lounge rad and the pipes into it are all stone cold when every other rad in the flat are good and warm.
Presumably the rad was OK last time you had the CH working.

Sounds like an airlock. Shut off all rads, except the cold one, which should have both valves fully open (note the setting of the L/S valve), and turn the pump to max; this should dislodge the airlock. You'll know if the rad gets hot.

Reset the pump and the L/S valve on the lounge rad. Then open the other rads in turn and check what happens. If the lounge rad starts to go cold again, you could have a balance problem.

if it is fitted with a thermostatic valve, it is likely to be stuck off.

It does have a thermostatic valve so this may indeed be stuck...if so, how to unstick!
And I shall try the sound suggestion of earlier to turn all other rads off and see if this one then works.

Sponsored Links
if you remove the head. try to push the pin down.

if it does not push down & spring back up it is stuck.

keep repeatedly gently hitting it with a toffee hammer or similar & it will eventually pop back up.

leave all trvs fully open over the summer period to prevent this occurring.

Just a thought from a DIYer Stephen. Do you have microbore?
We have microbore in our house and one of the rads in the kitchen stopped heating as you describe. It turned out to be a blocked microbore and I replaced the lowest section under the floor (about 2m) and all was fine. Never did find out what was blocking it, whether it was sludge or a dislodged solder "snotter" from the original install, done before I had the house.

That was despite they system always running with a good level of inhibitor and all the rest of the rads being fine.

Thank you all, problem solved. I turned all other rads off and then fired up. Nothing happened as before after 15 mins. Cold pipes. Bit depressed. Then I took top of thermostat off to check the thing was 'popped out' and functioning. It was indeed out and it moved in and out. More depressed. Then I started turning the therm unit around to make sure fully open/undone. Suddenly a great gurgling clanging noise at other end of rad! Knew immediatelty it was going to be ok , big smile. Between all the things I tried, it worked, a collective effort and rad was nice and hot very quickly. Very pleased now so thanks again. Great forum here. Stephen

Thanks for this info. Was going to replace the whole valve or call a plumber. Took the cap off tapped the top with a small hammer and it worked... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back