Leaning Apple Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I just moved into a new house that has an awesome apple tree. The fruit is very tasty, but I can see the tree has some problems. I would be very grateful for any help.

1) The whole tree is leaning at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

2) It has only thrown fruit on one side of the tree, the side leaning to the ground. Should I be concerned?

3) It needs to be pruned. I've read that I should do this in fall, but should I wait for all the apple to fall? Or do the apples matter?

My main concern is the leaning, but the side that needs to be pruned is the side leaning towards the ground. I'm afraid of pruning that side since it seems to be the side that is doing the best, but some of the branches are touching the ground which doesn't seem healthy. I've never dealt with apple trees and would love to help this one flourish. Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsored Links
Don't prune til all the fruit and leaves are gone.
As for the leaning, consider a few hefty posts to prop it up, to stop it from leaning any further. Cut any branches that are close to the ground, no good will come of that.

Sponsored Links
It may have been planted as a leaning tree.

I heard somewhere that Apple trees can be made more productive when planted at an angle - may be worth researching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back