draftproofing doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello :)

i am in the middle of renovating my place, have decided its far too energy inefficient, want to draft proof the place properly... i bought some tape that goes round the door, and inside the frame, but its awful.. is peeling off after a few weeks

i have been thinking of getting some fabric and attaching that to the edge of all doors, and inside the frame, but not sure if this will look bad or not?

problem is, its quite and old house and the doors are not symmetrical, some have big gaps at the bottom, and some on the side etc

anyone got any ideas?

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
stick-on draught strip is OK, but the paint must be extremely clean before you apply it. Use a strong household detergent (or sugar soap) and a white nylon scourer as used for non-stick pans, rinse well, and wipe with meths on kitchen roll just before applying the seal.

It sticks far better on new paint than on old.

If you have large gaps you can apply stripwood, but this will look unsightly unless you do it while you are preparing and repainting the doors and frames, and plane it to an invisible join.

The stuff made of EDPM (like soft rubber) is best, but you can get a glossy P-section that will squash down to fit, and blends OK with white paint. Don't use the cheap foam stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back