Foundation trench dug, existing services found!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, hi to everyone here.

I'm building a single storey front extension, and i'm doing as much of the work myself as possible.

I have dug the trench for the foundations (clay) 600mm wide and 1 metre deep but have come across gas, water and electric services in the trench.

I'm obviously going to dicsuss my options with BCO when he comes to inspect the trench but i'd really appreciate your advice or opinions on what i can do with them?

Do i have to move them all?

Can i sleeve them with something so they are protected when i pour foundations?

Do i need to shutter them, and then fill around them after the main pour?

For info, they are about 500mm down in the trench.

Many thanks in advance

Russ

Sponsored Links
It is illegal to build on top of a gas main - so it must be moved. And you would be better off moving the other services at the same time.

the water and electric can pass through the building no prob's, but it is better to sleeve them where they pass through any foundation concrete.

make a note of the gas main position as this can be dug up later on and set into an external meter box which you will have to build into a suitable location.

this can happen with the electric if it is more convenient to do so but not a prerequisite as with the gas.

Thanks guys :D

Just to confirm then that i can sleeve the electric and water, and temporarily leave the gas until the foundations ae poured and brickwork has started, then i can dig down to the gas main and have it relocated onto an outside wall of the new extension with a new meter?

Final few questions if may be so cheeky!

What is the best thing to use to sleeve the electric and water? and any advice on the best method of doing so?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
What is the best thing to use to sleeve the electric and water? and any advice on the best method of doing so?

Thanks again

we normally split some gutter downpipe and feed this over the pipe, plug the ends with insulation then tape it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back