concrete balcony problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 60 year old concrete balcony over a garage and workroom north facing. the builder i got put in a downpipe to get rid of rain which use to sit and create puddles.... he put in drains all around the top of my balcony(not under my windows only on the outside of balcony and in order to incorporate that he had to put two foot of concrete over existing concrete. I noticed he put in small pieces of steel maybe only 3 two foot by two foot around the balcony my balcony is twenty five feet long. he also put in some black protection roll looked liked two foot width along the edge of my home under the windows etc, then poured the concrete. of course the weather has not been great in ireland this summer lots of rain. the problem with puddles are gone. but the garage which always had white fuzzy stuff on wall smells damper and one wall is quite wet... i went on holidays came back and noticed a damp smell inside my home....which i never had...... i have expensive floors down and was lucky to find that the walls in my kitchen were dry lined and when i took them out the walls were saturated. of course the walls in the rest of my house facing balcony are concrete so i dont know if this is affected. should i have him remove the concrete completely, because when i go out my front door i notice after a day of rain water seeps out between the old concrete and the new concrete like a sandwich filler so i need some advice. would this concrete be too heavy to have over my garage and workroom. it looks nice. i have to say it was an expensive job and all for the sake of puddlles outside.......he wants to come back and put in stronger mesh protection under my windows and doors........help me......i need to know what to do

Sponsored Links
The better way to do this would be with good well fitted butyl rubber and lead flashing. Then concrete over the top of that with the whole lot falling slightly to one corner where it is drained by a spout. Putting a roll of dpc along the wall and then concreting the lot isn't really a full-proof method.

Also when you said 2 foot of concrete i assume you must have mistyped or if not how is the balcony constructed? what you describe as the top of the balcony is a little confusing! a good photo would help a lot.

/Users/petercahill/Desktop/front step.jpg
/Users/petercahill/Desktop/GUTAAAAAAA.jpg
/Users/petercahill/Desktop/door 2.jpg
/Users/petercahill/Desktop/inside house.jpg
/Users/petercahill/Desktop/door.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back