Crumbling Bay Window Pillars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice

I wanted to repaint the exterior bay window masonry only to find a fair amount of deterioration in the stone, which i think is sandstone,
I started to dig out the affected area with a screw driver and found the problem is worse than i thought, there are several patches where the stone is very soft and damp and comes off in large chunks, i'd say the rotten stone goes about half an inch deep until it reaches the hard undamaged stone.

The question is, can i repair this myself and if so, how? or will i have to have the pillars replaced?

I have taken a couple of photos of the worst affected areas

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/lymmboy/DSC00038.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/lymmboy/DSC00039.jpg

Any help and advice greatly appreciated, Mick

Sponsored Links
Mick - if you're confident with a trowel do it yourself.

Knock off all the friable stuff & strip-off all the paint to the affected column. Fix any leaks from gutters, etc. Use epoxy repair mortar (epoxy patch mortar), although it could be done with a sand/cement mix. Fix wooden battens to create an edge to work to - do one face at a time and let the mix dry then move onto the next face.

An alternative would be to remove all surface material, fix plaster angle bead (external grade) then render all the faces in one go with sand/cement render. This is the method I'd use; in a sense you are creating a whole surface to the column and not patching.

Thanks for the reply Symptoms,

I think i'll go for the first option, i'm ok with a trowel and the idea with the battens sounds just the job, i would never have thought of that!

Cheers for the advice mate.

P.S would i need to pva the sandstone or treat it with anything before i apply the new mortar?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back