Decking Cleaner Hose-sprayer & Starclen questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to stop my decking from being overly slippy-when-wet and have tried a few things. From searching this forum came across a few good ideas but also have a few questions about them please.

Its quite a large area of decking so not easy to clean.
Basically, just to go over what ive already done:
1. Bought some decking cleaner from Tescos and used a large paint brush to cover all the decking. Left this to soak in (and kill algy) overnight and then powerwashed off the following day.
Couldnt powerwash too close as would have taken ages to do it 5sq-inch at a time and it can make the wood furry and strip colour stain.
Decking was still overly slippy when wet though.

So on here I read about the idea of getting a hose-end sprayer and using stardrops or starclen to do the job.

Bought a hose-end sprayer (surprised it doesnt have a tube going to the bottom of the bottle but seems to work. Do others have a tube?) and some Starclen.

Have sprayed the decking.

My questions please:
1. How much Starclen do people use to mix? I bunged a full bottle in.
2. How do you easilly know when its run out as the stuff is clear in the bottle.
3. Do I need to scrub the decking afterwards (its a big area would rather not) or will the detergent dissolve grease and the ammonia kill algy?
4. Is there a more reliable way of killing the algy (its the main cause of slippy) such as putting something like bleach (or repeated decking-cleaner doses) in the hose-end-sprayer?
5. Can I use the stuff available for path/patio clearing or is this too harsh for decking?

My primary aim is to be able to reliably kill the algy without having to spend days scrubbing the whole thing.

Would really appreciate any advice people can suggest and thanks for taking the time to read this rather large post.

Cheers

Alex (BobSpoons)

edited to add question 5
edited to make title clearer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back