Bosch dishwasher drain hose valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, There is a plastic valve-like thing fitted into the drain hose of my Bosch dishwasher. It is about half a metre from the end, same width as the pipe, and about 5 or 6 cm. long. There is no mention of it in the manual that I can see. It has developed a leak and screwing the nuts at the end of the body doesn't stop it. Does anyone know what this thing is and whether it is absolutely necessary or can I just whip it out?
Machine is SMS47 (can't find full code) and about 8 years old. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry can't take a pic, my camera has been 'borrowed' at the moment. Rang Bosch today and they can't seem to identify it either ! It's more or less cylindrical, 6 cm long with a spigot sticking out about 1cm in the middle. It is fitted in-line with the hose, one end has a push-fit the other has a jubilee clip. Someone suggested it might be a 'venting' device - sounds convincing but I'm none the wiser......

It could be a non return device, to prevent waste water from coming back down and into the washer again.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, Yes, that was my initial thought. If so do you think there is any danger in taking it out as long as I loop the hose as high up as possible in the kitchen unit before connecting it into the sink waste outlet? (If you can imagine what I mean)

I know what you mean, If Bosch say it isnt a standard fitment of thiers I see no reason why not. I have seen some strange things on the waste pipe of appliances before, with cables as well :eek:
Never worked out what they were.
The alliances worked just as well when they were removed.

Tony

Cheers; I'll probably do that unless someone unravels the mystery before the weekend .........

Is it one of those fittings so you can join it to the sink drain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back